CWB Kenya Day 8


Advertisement
Africa
April 3rd 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 8 (Saturday) -

Today was to be our last full day in Nairobi - for a few of us, that was not a bad thing!!

We split into 2 groups for the morning, Claire, Mike and Tom venturing off to the "slums" to work with some of the street children, whilst Rich, Rich, Mick, Neil and Andy went back to Karuara Forest School (where we had ventured on the Monday). Both sessions were truly positive, the feedback from the street children session was tremendous, and inspiring to see the morale those kids actually have considering their circumstances. At the school, and again considering what these kids have, we were all very moved by them once again.

Tom, Mike and Claire rejoined the group at the school after they had finished, as we handed out some deserved gifts to the school, teachers and children in what was a very inspiring/moving ceremony, tears were even seen in the eyes of a few.

Easily the most rewarding and moving day of the trip to date!!

PART 2 - "Player Profiles - so far"

Mike - Our project leader from Surrey. As a headmaster he always draws a grasp of reverence from the kids when introduced. Nicknamed Mr. Spanky Spanky if they do anything wrong. Former Sussex CCC cricketer, keeps us all on the straight and narrow!! Doing a great job, although he blends in with most red walls now with his severe sunburn!!

Rich Lynn - The hard-hitting deputy head, on his second trip to Kenya with the charity, now nicknamed Dr. Richard Kimble for his week and a half long attempt of a beard (kind of grey like Kimble’s off “The Fugitive”). Always pre-occupied texting which appears to take up the majority of his spare time, when he isn’t drinking Tusker!!

Andy - Madly keen and enthusiastic, his groups are the loudest and if working with Tom, easily the most competitive!! Desperate to work with large numbers of kids, 200+ for the experience (probable this second week). Has the knack of receiving phone calls from the missus at 5am in the morning, disrupting his roomie!!

Mick - Our “relaxed” Aussie teacher (teaching is Sussex currently) who has vast experience in his native land, having taught PE and similarly to the CWB concept, worked with Aboriginal kids. Enjoying the African experience except for the loss of his back pack and contents (!) in a distraction theft in Nairobi!!

Tom - Sergeant Major come teacher from London, fair haired, and soon reddened in the African sun. Had his birthday on Saturday (31) and declined the offer for a couple of presents from the group. Has some strange team bonding antics and a liking for Joyce at the K Club!!

Neil - Our Mancunian, heavily accented, now being copied by all on the project, some better by others. The youngest of the group, is enjoying the experience, with his saddest moment being when the group parted ways from Claire, although he has been very down since the Champions League last week and United’s performance on the weekend against Chelsea…

Claire - Our Doctor and HIV/AIDS specialist here to promote closer links to HIV/AIDS groups who are already at work here. Has had to endure endless hours of testosterone fueled football viewing in the evenings, and being last served at almost every meal - has left us now to return to “normal life” in the UK…

Rich D - “Mr. Dick”, the tutor of the group, has vast experience of Africa, and is enjoying working with a “great” (possibly best ever??) group in Africa again. Apart from his entire day off on the loo, has been an inspiration to us all!! Doesn’t walk either!! (Rich didn't do his for the record - ED)

RD



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb