Rusomo


Advertisement
Africa
January 31st 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed to the Tanzanian border, heading into town at half six to find a bus, (despite having been told the night before that there were none going) because it is often the case that you are just not understood or more commonly they don’t know the answer and so instead of saying ‘I don’t know’ they will make up an answer….. not particularly helpful. The bus we bought tickets for was already full when it turned up but that didn’t stop us squashing in and getting to know the people we were sat next to. It was an express and so in theory doesn’t stop in every village. We ended up picking up another 5 muzungu filling half the bus with white people…. Something that is very rare. We traveled through beautiful countryside and many paddy fields arriving at rusomo after 2 ¼ hours and went to check out the waterfall which marks the border between Rwanda and Tanzania. It was a fairly impressive gush of brown water and a huge gorge. I had been told that it was a human waterfall in 94 which doesn’t bear thinking about. Trucks were lined up a long way back on the Tanzanian side and few were crossing, maybe because it was Sunday I’m not sure.
We went for a walk up through banana plantations and mud houses to the highest point in the area and had a fantastic view into Tanzania. Interestingly we couldn’t see a single house on the other side of the border yet houses are scattered all over Rwanda right up to the border.
We made the bus before the rain came down…. Torrential for an hour or so but not much cooler afterwards. I got stuck on the back seat of the bus home, squashed between 3 others feeling quite claustrophobic and getting pretty wet from the rain coming through the top of the boot but the kind man next to me kept trying to dry off my seat with a nice new cloth he had bought.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.843s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb