The ITINERARY


Advertisement
Africa
December 8th 2009
Published: December 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 Arrive Cape Town
Arrive in Cape Town at any time.

Day 2 Gariep River (B,L,D)
We have a good days travel past large plantations of Rooibos tea and through dry and remote portions of South Africa. We set up camp at scenic Gariep River, the natural border between South Africa and Namibia.

Day 3 Fish River Canyon (B,L,D)
Crossing into Namibia, we journey to Fish River Canyon, the largest canyon in Africa, and take in the majestic beauty of the scenery.

Day 4-5 Namib Desert (2B,2L,2D)
Towering red sand dunes of Sossusvlei form the gateway into the Namib Desert. Explore Sesriem Canyon and watch dramatic sunsets over the worlds highest sand dunes.

Day 6-7 Swakopmund (B,L)
Today you will really get a feeling for the Namib Desert, as you cross this arid region en route to the west coast of Namibia. In Swakopmund you can explore the historical town, the surrounding lunar landscape, and try some of the numerous activities available, such as sand boarding or a dolphin cruise.

Day 8 Damaraland (B,L,D)
Travel up the Skeleton Coast through the beautiful desert landscapes as we begin moving north into the stony desert landscapes of Damaraland.

Day 9-10 Etosha National Park (2B,2L,2D)
One of Africa’s highlights, the Etosha National Park offers a variety of wildlife and phenomenal natural beauty. Explore the pans and the park on game drives, with excellent opportunities to spot lion, giraffe, elephant, rhino, and herds antelope.

Day 11-12 Waterberg Plateau Game Park/Windhoek (2B,L,D)
After a morning game drive, we begin moving south to Waterberg Plateau Game Park, where you can take a scenic forest walk to enjoy the natural beauty of the area, then we journey through the Namibian countryside to Windhoek, the historic capital of Namibia.

Day 13-14 Kalahari/Maun (2B,2L,2D)
Heading east, cross into Botswana and travel to Ghanzi in the Kalahari Desert region. Take a walk with a local San Bushman to learn fascinating wilderness survival skills. Then over to Maun where you can pick up any supplies and prepare for your unforgettable 2 night/3 day journey deep into the "Delta".

Day 15-16 Okavango Delta (2B,2L,2D)
While based at a bush camp within the worlds largest inland delta, enjoy game walks and traditional mokoro (dug-out canoe) excursions, marvelling at the wide variety of wildlife that calls the delta their home. This is truly an African experience!

Day 17-18 Gweta/Chobe River (2B,2L,2D)
Gweta, located near bizarre salt pans of Makgadikgadi, is a fascinating area. Chobe National Park is home to one of the largest elephant populations in Southern Africa, and the best way to appreciate its thousands of resident elephants, crocodiles, and hippos, is on an afternoon boat cruise on the Chobe River.

Day 19-22 Livingstone, Zambia (4B)
Today, we cross the mighty Zambezi River by ferry as we enter into Zambia. Spend the next day exploring the breathtaking Victoria Falls, a natural wonder of the world. Adventure activities abound - go white-water rafting or canoeing on the Zambezi, take an elephant-back safari, bungee jump over the Zambezi River, or even fly over the falls for some fantastic views.

Day 23-24 Lusaka/Chipata (2B,2L,2D)
Crossing Zambia, camp on a private game farm just outside the capital of Lusaka, and visit the local market in Chipata, a frontier town near the Malawian border.

Day 25 Lilongwe (B,L,D)
Today we head to the sleepy capital of Lilongwe, at one time a small village on the banks of the Lilongwe River. Check out the craft stalls and bustling markets in Old Town or just sit back and relax, finding your groove in Malawi time.

Day 26-28 Lake Malawi (3B,3L,3D)
Head into Malawi, known as "the warm heart of Africa" and spend three days relaxing on the shores of "the lake of stars". Visit various lakeside camps as you travel south along the shores of Lake Malawi.

Day 29 Iringa (B,L,D)
Cross the border and head for Tanzania. Travel out of the Great Rift Valley through spectacular mountain passes and head towards your camp outside Iringa.

Day 30 Dar Es Salaam (B,L,D)
Today we travel to the capital, Dar Es Salaam. The city started as a fishing village in the mid 19th century before becoming a port and trading centre.

Day 31-34 Zanzibar (4B)
Zanzibar Island, “the spice island” has a rich history and culture. Visit the beaches, explore Stone Town, and soak up the island spirit.

Day 35 Moshi (B,L,D)
Catch the ferry back to Dar Es Salaam and travel onwards to Moshi, perhaps catching your first glimpse of the awe-inspiring Kilimanjaro.

Day 36 Arusha (B,D)
Today we pass Mt Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, and head towards Arusha to browse the craft markets and absorb the mix of cultures.

Day 37-38 Serengeti National Park / Ngorongoro Crater (2B,2L,2D)
Enjoy the multitude of animal and bird life while cruising through the acacia-spotted savannah of the Serengeti plains. The "Big 5" - lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino - constantly roam this vast expanse of grassland.

Day 39 Ngorongoro Crater/Arusha (B,L,D)
Venture down to the crater floor, and take in your final safari experience viewing the high concentration of wildlife, including zebra, gazelle, impala, and cheetah, bound by the crater walls. After lunch, continue back to our camp outside of Arusha for your final night.

Day 40 Arusha to Nairobi (B,L)
Departing Arusha in the morning we make our way back to Nairobi in the afternoon where your tour ends.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb