Day 4


Advertisement
Africa
February 1st 2006
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are on our 4th day and we’ve seen just a ton of stuff!!! On our first safari we got chased by an elephant! We were just sitting in the truck watching 2 eat and then one came after us! Our driver took off and he started to run after us. On our second day we saw pride of lions feasting on a poor li’l baby zebra… kinda gross but all part of nature. Today we saw a Marshall eagle that had killed a small deer and was holding it by the throat with one helluva large talon. UHG!

We get to get up super close to the animals in the truck… it’s just unbelievable. So far we’ve seen elephants, lions, zebras, giraffes, dik diks, impalas, orbus, leopards, baboons, warthogs, monkeys, water buffalos, various types of antelopes and many beautiful birds… and some VERY large!

Our first night was unbearable hot and none of us got much sleep. Tonight we’re in the mountains and it’s quite cool… thank gawd!

To get to our first destination we had to travel 400 kms… and the road was so rough that for 40kms we drove in the ditch cuz it was smoother! But the things and people we saw were amazing.

We also went to a very small village (cow dung huts) and got shown around by the chief’s son. Also got to go to one of their tiny li’l schools and visit with the children… and they’re absolutely adorable. Living conditions are very harsh and extreme!

Highly recommend the Tusker beer! Especially after an exciting safari! Oh… Tabitha went on a camel ride and her driver ‘chose’ her… so now she’s betrothed… so we’re just waitin’ fer the wedding!!! And lemme tell ya… he’s a looker! We got pictures to prove it! Teeth seem to be very optional!

Our driver, David, is just awesome… very knowledgeable, knows where to find all the animals and we’ve seen tons in just such a short time. Tonight we’re staying at the ‘treehouse’ lodge overlooking a watering hole and we can just sit on our decks and watch all the animals come up and drink… waaaaaaay cool!

Well that’s it for now. Couldn’t send anything before today as it was $25 for 15 minutes!! YIKES!

Signed:
The Three Stooges Do Africa!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Marshall Eagle Marshall Eagle
Marshall Eagle

Sorry to the animal lovers - but this was nature/Africa. This is the Marshall Eagle with its kill (a Dik Dik).
Lion CubsLion Cubs
Lion Cubs

Again, appologies. Juvenile brothers sharing a meal.


1st February 2006

So if you came home now, it would've been worth it?
Sounds like you have seen more animals that a whole company full of Placerdome staff! Excellent blog you guys!!! Things here at BARRICK are good - 20 IBS staff given the gate yesterday, and lots more visible mgmt around today... Things are moving anyway. BUT you aren't missing anything remember? Word is we should all have an answer on our jobs by the end of the month. I'm happy either way - what a lovely position to be in!! Take care girls, and watch out for elephants - they're big guys!! And drink beer. And think of me. I wish I was there...
1st February 2006

Sounds like you're having a roaring good time
Hey you three - been keeping tabs on you and must admit there is just a wee bit of jealousy here. Sounds like everything you had hoped for and to be able to have a wedding while you're there - how exciting is that!!!!!! Keep us posted and stay away from those charging elephants. Love ya
2nd February 2006

Betrothed!?!?!? Wow ... congrats :)
You had to go all the way to Africa to get betrothed to a toothless 'looker'? lol Your trip sounds so fantastic ... thank you for sharing your adventures with us. I can't wait to see the pictures!
3rd February 2006

Im' there with ya
It is fun to follow your trip -- I feel like I am there with you (wish I was). Enjoy -- Special hug to Shirley Love Joan
4th February 2006

Holy Crap!
Holy Crap!! Glad to hear you guys are having such a good time so far. Shirley - do not get eaten by a wildebeast, or the like. And don't get involved in any conversation that starts with..."How much for the white woman? The skinny Canadian in the t-shirt?" Kim sends her love...hopes you are having fun. Take lots of pics (Shirley....taking pics?) and enjoy the experience. We'll keep checking to see how you guys are doing. But you should all spend less time on the computer and more time getting chased by elephants and drinking Tusker Beer!! Be safe.
6th February 2006

Helloooooo
Hey All; Sounds like you're having a wonderful time and I'm really enjoying reading all about your adventure....jealous too of course. Continue to have a great time and be safe. Shirley: So far so good at the house.....kitties are doing well and miss you terribly of course!
7th February 2006

Jealousy & Envy - Deadly Sins
Would love to have been a 4th stooge on the trip with y'all. Sounds incredibly fantastic - can't wait for some photos. Keep comments coming as/when you can. Love to you all.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb