revisiting Cape Coast and Elmina


Advertisement
Africa
March 10th 2009
Published: March 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This weekend we were planning on going to Mole National Park to see some elephants and other animals on a walking safari but... its Africa. We couldnt get reservations so we had a change in plans.

Thursday night I tried to go to this bar that was in the guide book and was supposed to be this cool little spot overlooking the ocean on a clif and would have been a great place to watch the sunset. We didnt plan very well and were stuck in traffic watching the sun set so we decided to go to Osu and eat Indian food instead. After Indian food we headed to Ryan's pub to pass some time where we played darts and pool and Max showed me up pretty bad. Guess the beginner's luck finally wore off. Afterwards we went to this really cool spot called Bywel's. Its another little outside bar that plays live music on thursdays and that night it was salsa night. We met this group of Marines and it was fun hanging with American men for a little bit, but then they turned out to be jerks so that ended that friendship. It was a really awesome night spent with great friends having a lot of fun and dancing the night away.

Friday was Ghana'a Independance Day. I was expecting big celebrations and had this mental image of a crowd similar to the crowds for their soccer games. I was wrong. Its pretty much like our 4th of July where people have small parties and hang out outside and stuff. Its more of just a fun day of relaxing. We went to the beach and stayed for a few hours but then it was so crowded we decided to go home. I hung out in Legon for awhile and just relaxed with friends. That night we went out to Champs for some sweet games of pool where I redeemed myself (I even won the game!!) and foosball. Me and Bethany rock at life at foosball! Then we moved on the karoke which is always fun.

The next morning we left somewhat early to go back to Cape Coast and try to explore the small town Elmina right outside of Cape Coast. We got to the right trtro station and were ready to go, but then right as the trotro is about to leave the guy tells us that he isnt going to Cape Coast anymore, they're going to Kumasi. Ok? So we try to get our money back so we can get to the right trotro. I dont really remember the details of how everything went down, but it resulted in Max, Melissa, and Bethany yelling at about 4 different trotro mates and me standing in the background waiting for everyone to calm down a little bit and figure it out. The trotro dudes finally shut up and listened to us and after a lot of pestering and making a scene, we got our money back. The trotro going to Cape Coast was COMPLETELY empty and I've learned from experience that it would take another hour to two hours for it to fill up and I was not a happy camper. I pulled out the trusty travel guidebook and found out that there was an STC bus headed to Cape Coast at 11, and it was 10:40. We rushed to the bus station and were lucky enough to get some of the last seats on the bus and we were off to Cape Coast!

Once we got to Cape Coast we checked into the Sammo Guesthouse. It was a little cramped, but our room was really spacious and we were lucky to get a room with 2 double beds so we only had to get 1 room. 20 cedis a night, 5 cedis a person? with our own bathroom and the most amazing fans over each bed? Ill take it!! The best part was when we were checking in and the guy asked who was going to fill out the forms. Bethany walked up and started to fill out the paperwork and he told her no. He said that there was a man in our group and the man of the family should be the one taking care of the paperwork. So apparently because I am a female I am incapable of writing. The feminist inside me was screaming, but the hunger in my stomach said it wasn't worth the fight. Our next feat was to find food.

Remember, we left Legon at 9 am, its now 3 pm and we havent eaten yet. Cape Coast is one of the main cities in Ghana so food should be no problem right? Wrong. We tried to go to this cafe where all the proceeds go to this women's shelter. The taxi driver said he knew where he was going, but then kept asking for the name and then asked to see our map. He was holding it upside down and goes, "oh ok, yes, I know where I am going now!" Then he drives a few blocks, gets out and asks someone where to go. Drives about 10 feet, and gets out and asks someone else for directions. This continues a few more times and I am so hungry and delerious I bust out laughing. Then he drops us off at some door and tells us to go up the stairs and the cafe is up there. The "cafe" he is refering to is an Internet Cafe!! laughing continues and I decide in my head that out of our group Max would be the first one to die. He has more meat on him so he would be the first to go, and I got dibs on the arms.

We walk around a little more trying to find the place and we keep asking people. I made the mistake of asking a group of prepubesent boys and started a small riot between them. We then asked a security guard and he walks us back to the internet cafe! ahh!! I just need food!!! many stops later, we finally find a place that has fried rice... and thats it. We were overcharged for it but I didnt even care. I think she could see the hunger in our eyes.

We walked around Cape Coast and went into a couple of old churches. I was really surprised at how eleborate the Methodist church was and how seemingly plain the Catholic church was. Usually its the other way around. Outside the Catholic church there was a group of teenagers practicing a traditional dance with Ghanaian horns. They invited us to dance with them and they tried to teach me how to play the horn. The key word being TRY. I kept blowing into it and literally no noise came out.

The next day we went to Elmina to see the castle there. We quickly learned that once you've seen one slave castle, you've pretty much seen them all. The view was great, and the town was really cute with all the little fishing boats. After the tour we decided to head back to Cape Coast because there wasn't really anything else to do in Elmina.

When we got back to Cape Coast we hung out at this hotel/restaurant for lunch and ended up hanging out there until dinner. It was a pretty chill day and just hung out with good friends. All in all, wasn't the most exciting trip I've been on so far, but we had a lot of fun. We are leaving really early Saturday to go to Mole since we were able to actually get reservations for this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing all the animals, but its such a hastle trying to travel around up north because transportation isn't as reliable as it is in Accra. It will definately be an adventure!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb