Deworming & Hooka


Advertisement
Africa
August 4th 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday Night, Aug 2nd, 2008



On Saturday night, I smoked hooka.....Ya I know, what is the world coming too?!

Hooka, is a naturally occurring tobacco that is flavoured. As I was told, smoking hooka is a Persian/East Idian/Arabic past time. The tobacco is put at the top of a lamp like looking device that acts very similar to a bong. The hooka pipe is placed on the ground while hot charcoal is placed on top of it. Water is put into the bottom of the pipe which is heated by the charcoal. What is interesting about this is that when you go to smoke the hooka, you inhale only the vapors and not actual particles. As I was told, it is not really bad for you because you are inhaling on water vapors and the fact that the tobacco is completely natural.

On the side of the main pipe structure are one or two tubes. At the end of the tube is a mouth piece that you place in your mouth. To inhale the smoke, you must breathe in deeply. But because of my limited lung capacity (apparently...) I was not able to get much out. Haha.....Overall, it was quite pleasant actually, but I felt that it was more hype than it was worth. Though, I would not mind trying it again, just to compare experiences.

Deworming



Dont panic! Nothing bad has happened. However, as a course of action that is taken with most foreign volunteers, you are given a course of treatment for deworming. It is a tiny tablet that you take with water. Last friday, Dr. Kennet came by and handed out the tablets to each of us, mainly because all the girls (Lindsey, Meiti, Katie and Kristen) leave next week and they wanted to make sure that we had the pills. I dont get to take mine until the day that I leave. But who would have thought that a single pill would kill parasitic worms....

Up next the

Bugisu Circumsicion Ceremonies

....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb