Islands and Weddings


Advertisement
Africa
October 12th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a few days in Nairobi staying with my old host family, Sadha and I met up with some friends and headed down to Dar, Tanzania, which ended up taking 2 days, many many daladalas (minibus), taxi and bus rides and looking like lunatics as we arrived in Dar and sprinted to the ferry to Zanzibar which we only just made by minutes.

Zanzibar was beautiful - white sand beaches, a mix of arabic and swahili culture and so much good seafood! We spent a few days in stonetown getting lost in the twisty little maze of alleyways and finding random little hidden shops in between all the white washed tall buildings. It was Ramadhan when we went so it was very peaceful and luckily not too many wazungu around (aka: whities). At night we went to the Forodhani gardens where you pick what seafood you want and they BBQ it up there in front of you. After stonetown we headed to the North of the island to the white sands and clear water of kendwa beach, and spent the rest of the week going to a full moon party on the beach, snorkelling, swimming with giant sea turtles, getting pampered, eating delicious food, and just relaxing on the beach. Zanzibar was so awesome but we were both starting to feel overloaded with it all, and it was time to get back to the bush, pit toilets, bucket showers and ugali.

We spent a few days chilling in Dar with Sadha's fellow volunteers and saying goodbye to Nathan, before we headed out to Sadha's old village near Njombe, for her friend's wedding. After spending a night at the Chani hotel (an awesome little place - hot showers, good food, dvd player!) we ran around buying new shoes, presents, skirts and drinks for the wedding. After arriving in the village and meeting Christer (the bride to be) we find out that the wedding was changed to next month! soooo typical. Sadha's village was beautiful and we spent 3 days greeting everyone and being invited round for a meal, so much so that we were eating most of the day. The people here get very offended if you don't stay at their house or have a meal with them, so we were often pulled in every direction every day. We left this morning as Sadha said her final goodbyes and we came back into Njombe and collapsed at the Chani.

After today we are heading up to Iringa, then back to Dar for a few days to continue with our travels. It's getting so close the end now its scary just thinking about it!

Advertisement



12th October 2007

From Z to A
Great to hear from you again - I was beginning to wonder whether you'd already left for Europe. Zanzibar sounds really nice, Hannah, I hope you've been taking loads of pics. I know you're feeling sad to be leaving but I can't wait to see you back again in Australia. Love, Dad
13th October 2007

Hi Hannah, Loved the sound of swimming with giant turtles! Zanzibar must be a beautiful part of the world. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy an African wedding - that would have been a great experience. Happy travels, Ivan
13th October 2007

No Maccas
Hi Hannah, you and Sadha sounds as if you're having a great time there, and you know your way around. Dominic and his girlfriend Janna have just been to Marrakech, they realise why the flights were cheap - it's Ramadhan. They were famished all day until they found a Maccas. I'm sure there aren't any Maccas in Zanzibar. You make it sound wonderful, the beaches and seafood etc, I want to go there. Happy travels

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb