Moving to the Exclusive Camp Site


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
May 22nd 2013
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Scenery01 Scenery01 Scenery

Some of the picturesque scenery from our morning game drive.
Geo: -15.9455, 29.3115

This morning Paul, John and I went for a game drive. We left at 6am and drove towards Vundu Point. Along the way we saw a few small breeding herds of elephants, baboons, impalas, various birds, waterbuck, warthogs, zebras, kudus, hippos and lots of beautiful scenery.

We got back to our camp at Nyamepi at 10am. It was now time for breakfast, then packing up and having a shower.

Soon after we were ready to say goodbye to this camp site and hello to a new one. It was about a 20 minute drive. We were hoping that we would not have to wait for the previous campers to pack up. When we arrived there were some campers who had stopped for coffee, so it didn't take long for them to pack up and leave. While they finished their coffee, we went for a drive to the next camp site, just to compare the view.

Our new camp site at Mucheni Camps, site number 3. It was very, very basic, but in another fantastic location, right on the river with not another soul in sight. There was no shower, no running water and just a drop toilet. What makes
02 Hiding02 Hiding02 Hiding

A couple of elephants hiding behind the bushes.
this camp site exclusive, is that you are at least 400 metres apart from the neighbours, site 2 and site 4.

As we were setting up our tents, a couple of elephants walked by. It was only about 3 metres from our toilet. They were so close to us that we had to stop, watch them and get excited at their close proximity to our camp site.

We finally set up our tents and started to relax in our chairs by the river.

The afternoon was spent relaxing at our camp site and enjoying all the wonderful wildlife around us. This afternoon I did not feel the need to drive anywhere, as all the animals came to us!

This evening we enjoyed another beautiful sunset and silence all around, as the closest campers were about 400 metres away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

04 Herd04 Herd
04 Herd

A small breeding herd of elephants.
05 Head 05 Head
05 Head

A head shot of one of the adult elephants.
06 Stretching06 Stretching
06 Stretching

An elephant stretching its trunk to reach the leaves that are up high.
08 Tracks08 Tracks
08 Tracks

Crocodile tracks along the road.
09  Running09  Running
09 Running

A herd of waterbuck running along.
10  Scenery10  Scenery
10 Scenery

Some of the picturesque scenery from our morning game drive.
11 Warthogs11 Warthogs
11 Warthogs

A few warthogs can be seen under the tree.
12 Elephant12 Elephant
12 Elephant

The elephant is resting its trunk on its tusk.
13 Scenery13 Scenery
13 Scenery

Some of the picturesque scenery from our morning game drive.
14 Scenery14 Scenery
14 Scenery

Some of the picturesque scenery from our morning game drive.
15 Vundu Point15 Vundu Point
15 Vundu Point

The scenery form Vundu Point.
17 Hippos 17 Hippos
17 Hippos

A large pod of hippos in the river at Vundu Point.
18 Scenery18 Scenery
18 Scenery

Here there is a Saddle Billed Stork, a couple of baboons, various birds and a kudu.
20 Webs20 Webs
20 Webs

This tree was full of webs - we got out of the car to have a closer look.
21 Webs21 Webs
21 Webs

Spider webs on the tree.
22 Insects22 Insects
22 Insects

The insects that were living on the large web.
23 Strangler Fig23 Strangler Fig
23 Strangler Fig

A strangler fig has overtaken this tree.
24 Closer Look24 Closer Look
24 Closer Look

Paul and John having a closer look at the webs.
26 Mother & Calf26 Mother & Calf
26 Mother & Calf

A baby elephant and its mother.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb