Great Zimbabwe Ruins


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
September 11th 2009
Published: September 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Great EnclosureGreat EnclosureGreat Enclosure

This is where the king's wives lived!
Great Zimbabwe Ruins is the site that gave its name to the country, post-independence. These are ruins of stone walls which marked the houses and enclosures of a major settlement. Originally thought to have been European in origin, the architecture is now confirmed as African, from about 1150 AD. There are links through to the Indian ocean islands, and the trade in gold and spices.
This remarkable place is suffering from the general economic woes of Zimbabwe, although indications are that tourism will pick up slowly.
When we visited a community group had just finished making beer - a ritual - in the areas where their ancestors are buried.
The landscape is spectacular with relatively thick bush. Walking around the site feels like treading (lightly in our case) on a very special place.
It's worth camping there - that would be my choice - as local hotels are largely looking rather the worse for wear, after years of no real income or re-investment. The best of the lot was Inn on Great Zimbabwe, about 10 kms from the site, and overlooking the lake.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Hills RuinsThe Hills Ruins
The Hills Ruins

Where the King lived, and surveyed his kingdom below him


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb