Helicopter ride over Vic Falls.


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
September 26th 2005
Published: December 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Having survived being shocked on an electric fence & nearly drowning in the Zambezie it was time to find another novel way to cheat death, todays choice was a helicopter flight over Victoria falls. Whilst waiting for the helicopter we got to watch videos of the previous flights from that day. It soon became obvious that they filmed you getting on & off the helicopter & just cut in stock footage of the falls, especially obvious when they showed the sun setting on an 11 am flight. The helicopter flew us several times over the falls, across the wide Zambezie at the top & over the zig-zagging rapids at the bottom. The rafts making there way over the rapids seemed to be going much slower than when we had the previous day. We found out later that a couple of girls had refused to go any further after the first rapid & another broke her ankle & had to be carried out of the canyon. So in the end the flight was least life threatening activity in Vic Falls, more danger was waiting back at the campsite. When we got back Denford was cleaning out the truck & had put all the food on the table, which was attracting monkeys so Sam stood by the table while I chased the monkeys. Normally although pretty cheeky, monkeys will run away if you clap your hands or throw a stone in their direction. However, the monkey I chased decided to run up a small tree & when it realised the tree wasn't much taller than I was it ran down & tried to find the next tallest thing to climb, me! At this point the monkey was now chasing me. It was then time to stay out of harms way by relaxing by the pool for the rest of the day while Sam & Maria went to see the falls on foot & wave at the people on the Zambian side.

Other photos from this part of the trip can be found at http://www.flickr.com/groups/africa2005/


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb