Walking the lions


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Bulawayo
May 24th 2003
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Harare was a great city, suddenly really civilised! We went to the movies a couple of times as they were only 35c US. At that price it doesnt matter if the movies are rubbish! We both saw 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', Colin went to see 'XXX' while I saw 'Below'. We went round the National Art Gallery, some good works, most of them up for sale, and a room full of old tribal works from drums and baskets to axes and masks. None of this stuff was for sale, although you could buy replicas in the shop. That was about all we had time for, shame really, but we had better things to move on to.

Next stop was Antelope Park, a private game reserve with a lion breeding program. We got to play with 2.5 month old lion cubs, and go walking in the savannah with 8 and 18 month old cubs. Awesome!! The 18 month old cubs are huge, and look so much more like lions than the smaller ones. They are all so cute! We also rode elephants and went on a night drive (cold!) where we saw a genet cat. Otherwise we saw the "usual" impala, kudu, blesbok, wildebeest, hartebeest etc.

From there we went to the Great Zimbabwe Ruins, the remains of the first major city in Southern Africa. Started in the 13th century, it lasted for a couple of hundred years. Artefacts from all over have been dug up there including arab coins.

We are now in Bulawayo waiting for the night train to Victoria Falls. We've been to the movies again as its cheap, we saw 'Heist' (not all that good) and 'Windtalkers' (better). Also went round the excellent Natural History Museum, treated ourselves to a night away from the truck in a hostel and a nice dinner, all of course cheap!!

Next stop is Vic Falls where we'll be staying for four nights, then its off to Botswana.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Playing with the 2.5 month old cubs at Antelope ParkPlaying with the 2.5 month old cubs at Antelope Park
Playing with the 2.5 month old cubs at Antelope Park

They are discovering their teeth and claws, but are still really cute!
Great ZimbabweGreat Zimbabwe
Great Zimbabwe

The Royal Enclosure and other ruins


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb