Day 31 to 33 - Zambia


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
December 12th 2009
Published: December 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Once we arrived in Zambia, we had a look at Livingstone town (quick look was enough for us) and Matt bought several Zimbabwe dollars from one of the touts. The Zimbabwe currency is no longer used due to their economy and hyperinflation, but the attraction was that the dollars have very high figures - the largest bill we bought was 20 Trillion (that’s a bank note with 13 zeros). After that we went to Victoria Falls. The Zimbabwe side seemed to have more water, and we considered crossing the border but decided against it. Instead we took a helicopter ride over the falls. This was the first time I had been in a helicopter. I was a little nervous, but I loved it and we got some good pictures.




That evening we went to an African restaurant for our final group dinner. The food was authentic, local dishes and we decided to be adventurous and try caterpillars. They were a little chewy, and very salty! As we continued to chew, they became a weird soft, sandy texture which I assumed to be poo. Matt managed to eat a couple, but I spat mine out.

The next morning we did a Lion Encounter with 15 month old cubs. We were given a stick and if the lions looked like they wanted to pounce then we were supposed to point at them and say in a loud, firm voice “No!" We were told they see humans as the dominant animal because of our height, but you have to reinforce it. Luckily this was not needed, and they were very docile that day. We found out that lions only need to eat every 3 days. And since the cubs were fed the night before, they were feeling lazy - to the point they would roll over when we scratched their bellies. The whole experience was brilliant.




This was the final day of our first tour, and after we said our goodbyes we moved to a B&B where where we enjoyed the luxuries of our own bathroom, air conditioning and a clean swimming pool. From here, we flew to Jo’burg for a night before heading to Dar es Salaam for our next tour.

Advertisement



12th December 2009

familiar territory
Hi guys!! Enjoyed seeing all the pics of the places I have visited... the delta, chobe, vic falls etc... brings back lots of great memories... that helicopter flight looked like fun... sounds like you guys went to the same big game restaurant we went too... did you eat the warthog? ( the yummiest meat in the world) Good luck for the next part of your adventure! Dar es Salaam is something else!!! jodesX p.s. We are having a big xmas party with everyone in town today..shame you won't be there to join us all...
12th December 2009

Hi
Glad you liked the pics. No, we didn't try warthog. I wish we'd known as we would have been keen. We're officially done with Tanzania and Kenya. We're hoping to post the blog for that either tomorrow or the next day. We arrived in Bangkok today. If we don't speak to you before Christmas, have a lovely holiday season and tell everyone hi!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb