Days 54-56: Zambia


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fairly easy border crossing (another rare happy smiling face at customs!) brought us into Zambia! We camped the first night at Livingstone, only about half hour from the border. The place we stayed at was a basically a large lawn for tents surrounding this old palatial house that used to be the President of Zambia's house many years ago - it was built about 150 years ago! It had a swimming pool too that was great in the heat of the day. We went for a walk into town, about 2km, nothing much to report - just stocked up on more rusks (a tour fave of ours) at the supermarket! Quite crazy to see a well-stocked Supermarket after our recent viewing of a supposed supermarket in Zim! ;-)

Most of our time spent in Zambia was spent driving! We left early the next day for a camp at Lusaka, and spent most of the day, yup you guessed it... driving! The campsite was cool though, with a cool dirtbike track at the entrance which made us think of John, Daniel and Jakey! The camp had a few giraffe and zebras walking in the vicinity so that was cool.

The third day we again drove all day, through to Mama Rula's camp in Chipata. It poured with rain that night, we were quite glad we weren't on cooking duty for the night! ;-) We hung in the bar talking to an Aussie couple doing a similar tour with Gap. That night was a night of torture! It was pouring with rain and though we didn't get wet in our tent, the ants obviously didnt like the rain much and were swarming in in the MILLIONS, they were everywhere! All over the roof and falling onto us as we tried to sleep! It was like a horror film! We eventually went to get up and discovered it was only 12.30pm! We hid in our sleeping bags and as soon as we heard the first tent zipper the next morning we jumped up immediately! Seems everyone had the same experience so it was a rush to the store the next day in Malawi for ant spray!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb