PPAZ Office and Clinic


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lusaka
August 25th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey all

So, we have now been in Lusaka, Zambia for almost a week, and although things were a bit slow to begin with, it now seems to be picking up a bit.

We live in a pretty great sharehouse with pool (but so far no water ;-), internet (which is pretty exceptional) and a great maid, so we are pretty spoiled. Had a few issues with the landlord to begin with, as he was expecting us to pay a crazy high amount each, that we were certain would be the amount for two people. But we ended up getting it our way, so now all is good.

In the PPAZ office, we are placed in a very charming blue container, nice and cool in the morning and boiling hot after lunch (see the lovelu pics). We have so far mostly contributed with a bit of secretary work, but Holo, the boss-man is in Stockholm and returning on Friday, so next week, we should hopefully get some more challenging tasks.

Yesterday, we participated in a meeting where 15 of the PPAZ volunteer peer educators discussed and evaluated a tool which is currently being developed to assist the peer educators in their work.
They appear to really be doing a good job, and it is pretty impressive that they are all working voluntarily. The thing is, that jobs are scarce, and I guess volunteer work is then better than nothing - at least they get a meal or snack as well as transportation allowance when they participate in something for PPAZ.
Hopefully we will be able to go with a group of the volunteers at one or more of their outreaches, it would be pretty interesting to see how it works.
We had a little taste of it yesterday when the volunteer music and dance group made a special performance for us - literally dancing their asses off and making a show that definitely symbolised a sexual act. Its really amazing that in a country where all literature claims that sex is generally not spoken about, a bunch of young people are this open about it! Anyways, you probably should have been there to get a real feel of it, but if you have a look at the photos, you may at least get a light sense.

Right now things are slow in the office, Linnea and Mike are doing a bit of work, but I am just waiting a bit, and what can then be better than to produce a blog. Ill upload some fotos and then try to get back to work.

We all hope everybody back home and those of you spread around the world are good and look forward to hear from you.

All the best
Linnea and Trine





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The PPAZ containerThe PPAZ container
The PPAZ container

Our office at PPAZ
Youth area at the clinicYouth area at the clinic
Youth area at the clinic

We are waiting for a personal show of music and dancing, that the volunteers normally perform at their outreach programmes
Volunteer drum and dance showVolunteer drum and dance show
Volunteer drum and dance show

The volunteers perform music and dancing before performing a drama show when they teach young people about reproductive health


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb