The Smoke that Thunders


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
March 24th 2011
Published: March 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello bloggers…

Danny made Malawi sound not very exciting – I thought it was lovely – nice to chill out by the beach/lake and thoroughly enjoyed my village walk….no casino or spa…but made you realise how lucky we all are to live in the western world…and I loved the children –they were so friendly and desperate for their pics to be taken, I really wanted to bring a few of them home, but danny said I would have to curb my spending…..so I am still thinking about it!!
Anyhow, we then headed to Zambia. We had a couple of nights camping before we hit Livingstone and Victoria Falls (which are fantastic). One night camping we woke up to head to the toilet and found ourselves face to face disco donkeys (zebras) which was ace- did make me need the toilet more tho!!
Anyhow we are now in Vic Falls and have been for 4 days. Danny obviously decided our trip wasn’t eventful enough so managed to catch malaria – yes I did say malaria – what a nightmare!!!!!!! The first day we arrived danny didn’t feel so well so he headed to the tent for a lie down – when I checked on him 15 mins later he looked very red so Nora (our Irish guitar playing Dr) said we should take his temperature – it was 39.2 – ie 103 degrees – not good – we headed straight to the dr who said he probably had malaria – actually it sounds worse that it is – because as soon as yuo start the 3 days course of drugs you do feel a bit better. Thankfully his temperature reduced and my dad’s credit card took a beasting as we upgraded to really nice rooms for 3 nights – its been like a mini holiday from camping (yey says me!) I think perhaps this was danny’s plan all the way long?! Not really!!

Danny has had a few quiet days – but I headed out to do a microlight over the falls (check out the pics). After establishing that even if the engine failed, I would survive as they are like gliders I felt able to get on board, only half way through the trip when the pilot knew I was loving it did he say that if we crash landed we would probably get eaten by a hippo!!!!!!! Anyhow, I was so so scared but it was absolutely incredible – I saw the falls and even went through the spray –it was truly awesome! I was allowed to fly it for nearly a minute which was ace! Oh and I saw a hippo and elephants which seemed minute from the sky. It was a huge adrenaline buzz.
We then had a meal out that night with the other couple which was cool – a very quiet bar – but I know danny enjyed some time away from the group – nora and I are teasing the boys about a budding bro-mance!!!!!
On Wed (yesterday) we had a lazy morning (loving the lush room)) and all inclusive English fry up – then we headed to the bridge near Victoria falls to watch Monica (one of our group) doing a bungee, swing and flyng fox.

We then headed to see the falls (aka the Smoke that Thunders)- it was brilliant to be so up close and personal – we got totally soaked and I nearly fell over on the bridge (Mum I was never in danger!he ) and it was hilarious. We did some trading – old clothes for wooden goods – danny loved it!!!! Ok love may be little strong – but he was happy I wasn ‘t spending his money!!!
Not to be outdone by Danny and malaria, I became up close and personal with the monkeys that live at our hotel near a bridge we have to cross everyday to get to our room. As I was crossing it started running after me- so I was shouting for help and the guard just came out and laughed at me – rabies is not a funny thing – anyhow I am free of rabies as the monkey was eventually scared off. Honetstly it reminded me of the Billy Goat Gruff story my dad used to tell me and I keep running over the bridge scared I may get chased!!!!
So today, Danny is back on fighting form, so in search of an adrenaline rush he signed up to do a full day of activities – it started with an abseil, followed by a flying fox over a gorge (which danny did in true superman style!) then he did forward abseil (check out the pics) followed by huge (92 metre gorge swing) – this incuded a 54 metre free fall taking 3.5 secs then a 2 min swing – danny was ultra brave whilst I asked about a million questions about safety checks – I’m pleased to report in 14 yrs no accidents!!!! Nora and Dave also did a tandem swing….no I couldn’t be persuaded.

Anyow danny did the swing twice, once forward and once backwards – he is mental!!!!!

We are now sipping our first alcohol of the evening and are enjoying our last night here!

We are of course missing home, but this place really is out of this world!!!

For now….over and out!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb