Livingstone, Zambia


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
February 18th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Finally internet that is fast - sorry for the long delay in postings.

************************************************

We arrived in Livingstone Zambia on a British Airways flight (Boeing 300) that had 20 people...including crew if you can believe it. I am shocked they didn't cancel the flight. We arrived at Chanters Lodge, our home for the next 3 nights. This is no five stars, or any star for that matter. The hotel has a quaint garden and pool but the rooms leave something to yearn for. In fact, Ryan refuses to have a shower in our bathroom and you never know what sort of critter you are going to find or if your electricity will work, but the place is great to organized activities and meet fellow travelers. There is a huge disparity of accommodation here, you can either go 3 stars plus for $200 a night or pay the $60 a night like we are.

The town here is amazing. Women walk around with babies on their backs and balance coolers, bowls, etc. on their head. The Zambians have been fabulous, so hospitable and friendly.

We met some great English gents who love their scones, Tony and Jordan and over some Mosi beers, decided the next day to do the helicopter ride over Vic Falls. Although you need to read the disclaimer that if you die the company is no longer liable. Reassuring indeed....but onward and upward. Literally. The view from the helicopter has amazing. Afterwards we went and walked around the falls. We had amazing views and were truly awed by the power they exude.

That night we took a sunset cruise on the African Queen. Which when we showed up was a huge luxury 3 tiered boat. There was about 8 of us on the boat when we started to pull away and we found out we had this huge boat all to ourselves - I guess low season has it's benefits - WOW. It started to rain but partway through the cruise it eased up and we were able to see a bunch of hippos eating some grass. Some quick facts:

- Hippos eat 150 kg of grass per day.
- They weigh up to 2 tones.
- They can only survive out of the water for 5 days.

After a couple drinks we decided it would good to head into town with all the travelers and continue drinking at the local pub complete with its own Zambian band (although mostly cover American music).

About Zambia:
- There seems to be a rift between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Apparently many people from Zimbabwe have taken up refuge in Zambia due to the dictatorship. But when Zambia had food shortages and need to buy food from Zimbabwe they were treated very poorly.
- The roads here are way better than Saskatchewan (Main Street and the highway).
- The currency here is $5000 ZMK to $1 US. We ate and drank like kings for about $20 US.
- I was surprised to see most of the tourists here are seniors. Largely from the UK, EU and US. Mom and dad, maybe you should consider coming (note: I am not calling you seniors).
- There are about 10 orphanages in Livingstone.
- Kids can go to day school here. However they need to be able to afford a uniform in order to attend.
- 1 in 7 people have aids.
- Zambia has one of the world’s most devastating HIV and AIDS epidemics. More than one in every seven adults in the country is living with HIV1 and life expectancy at birth has fallen to just 39 years.
- In four decades of independence, Zambia has found peace but not prosperity and today it is one of the poorest and least developed nations on earth.


Tomorrow off to Botswana.

P.S. Roddy we didn't make it white water rafting....you better still talk to us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

On our way back to the lodgeOn our way back to the lodge
On our way back to the lodge

Kids coming home from school


22nd February 2010

I can eat 150 kg of food a day too: just watch me
Did you manage to go to an orphanage? I know that's something you both wanted to do.
4th March 2010

No worries
I will go back and do the rafting in your honour :)
5th March 2010

We haven't yet, the only opportunities we have seen so far are for 8 weeks at a time.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb