"Get it Down & Hold on" - Whitewater Rafting on the Mighty Zambezi


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
November 19th 2009
Published: December 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The gorge swing 35 secs
Carol started off the adventure sports without Garry because he was too sick - or so he says, maybe just a little scared? The day started off with abseiling down a 53m cliff, a flying fox over a gorge, and last but not least, a gorge swing. For any of you who don't know what a gorge swing is (we didn't before we came here) it's kinda like a bungee jump but not as high and you are not tied to a rope by your feet, its more around your waist. Carol did the jump tandem - you can watch the video we uploaded and hear her scream.

Before we got too into the adventure activities, we took a lovely sunset cruise spotting crocodiles, but mostly taking advantage of the free bar!

The next day was spent white water rafting the Zambezi river. This is supposedly one of the top 2 white water rafting destinations in the world, if not the best. It was an amazing day. We took on grade 3, 4 and 5 rapids, but thankfully we did not do the grade 6 rapid known as "Commercial Suicide." We were on different rafts for the day, Carol on a boat with 6 other girls - not the wisest of moves especially towards the end of the day where there was a lot of paddling, but with our guide thankfully we got to the end. Our guides were fantastic, in fact Garrys guide is actually a white water rafting champion who had a habit of screaming "get it down and hold on!" when it was time to get down in the raft and hold on for dear life! We can't take credit for the photos for this day as they were taken by the rafting crew but you can see it was quite a day!

Now we get to our better view of Victoria Falls. We had heard during the trip about a place called "Devil's Pool" where you can swim and look over the top of the falls. This was definitely not to be missed. We had no idea what to expect from it. We were brought out to Livingstone island on a little dingy boat and guided over the rocks to the edge of the falls for the most impressive view. As we peered over the edge one by one, the guide held on to us. Little did we know that the best was yet to come. Next thing we know, we are in the water, swimming very close the edge of the falls, climbing over some more rocks, when we are told to jump into the water right on the edge of the falls. We are thinking this man is crazy but Garry decides to have a go. We all follow suit, and it is the most crazy experience - only in Africa! We are told not to swim to the right as the current will take you over the edge. There is a small ledge perfectly positioned on the edge which stops us from going over, and we can sit on this and peer over the edge of the 108m high falls. It was a definite highlight for our trip in Africa, and to make it more special, we were told afterwards that it is only possible to swim in this pool for a few weeks every year. After our dip in the falls, we were treated to the most wonderful silver service breakfast we had seen in a long time.

Livingstone proved to be an incredible few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Carol surfing the rapidsCarol surfing the rapids
Carol surfing the rapids

You can just about see Carols arm on the left, behind the gold helmet, trying to grab anything to hold on to!
And all clear...minus half the boatAnd all clear...minus half the boat
And all clear...minus half the boat

Somehow Carol ended up on the other side of the raft from which she started
Not so calm nowNot so calm now
Not so calm now

Yes that is a look of terror on Garrys face.
The edge of the fallsThe edge of the falls
The edge of the falls

And the devils pool that we are about to jump into


2nd December 2009

Hi
Hi there, just reading your blog, sounds absolutely amazing! Could not be any different from what I have been up for the last few months. Love reading it and seeing the pics, will ye be back in Oz for Xmas? Baby Aoibhinn is doing great, she is giving us no bother at all and is a great little sleeper. We are looking forward to her first xmas now!!
2nd December 2009

Is it jokin me ya are with that video????? I got ill from CYCLING over Golden Gate Bridge......HELLLOOOO!!!!!
5th December 2009

Zambia activities
Thats awesome you guys have photos of all the Zambian activities - abseiling, flying fox etc. I did not take my camera and so had nothing to show of what i did. At least i can steal some photos :) How is India going? I am sure you guys are having an awesome time!!

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1006s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb