More Volunteering


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I was at Linda in the morning again. There were so many mothers with their babies to get weighed! It was insane! It's because it's the end of the month so they all are trying to get their babies weighed before November (because they have to get them weighed every month). After the appointments, the diagnosis and treatment of every patient is written in the register book. I got to help do that for a while. It was kind of hard because doctors here have terrible handwriting, just like in the States. I think it would be easier to recognize the drug names if I knew the commonly prescribed ones. In the afternoon I had reading club again.

Today we had the morning off because it's voting day so the schools were closed and the clinics were slow. In the afternoon I had HIV Education. There were 11 women there, less than the 25 we were hoping would show up, but still not bad. We just did basic information and introduction. There were 4 of us and then Brave was there as a translator. When he translated he always added more and rambled and repeated for emphasis. I wish we could've understood what he said because the ladies were often laughing. I think we're mainly there to add influence because we're white. That sounds terrible, but it's true. The course lasts 4 weeks so if there are 25 people for each session, or even 15, that adds up to a pretty good number over time! And then hopefully these people will spread the word to their neighbors and family. The next 3 weeks different topics will be covered: CD4 cells, treatment, opportunistic infections, healthy living strategies for people with AIDS, and stigma/discrimination associated with HIV/AIDS.

Elections were today so there could be riots tomorrow! One of the candidates ran before and lost and his supporters rioted so could happen again! Probably more in Lusaka though.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb