Ilios - Disaster Averted


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

On SafariOn SafariOn Safari

For Clay Rabbits

Ilios - Disaster Averted


Tuesday July 1 - 9:42AM

We didn’t sleep much last night. We didn’t end up going to bed until 10:00PM after we managed to repack our bags and get set for our 3:15AM wakeup call for our 3:45AM transfer to Cape Town International. Our flight would leave at 6AM, connect in Jo’Berg at 10:40AM, and arrive in Zambia at 12:30PM. Our transportation up until this morning was sensational. On time every time, always willing to stop upon request for a quick bite or bathroom break, and unofficial tour guides, Ilios is a new travel company that has 14 vehicles and has earned a reputation of reliability and punctuality. Our wake-up call came from the hotel manager, Ben, who apparently does not sleep. He had driven us to and from dinner the day of arrival, welcomed us for breakfast the very next day, scheduled our wine tour, driven us to and from dinner again, settled our bill, arranged early breakfast this morning, and was always a beacon of smiles. We slowly started the morning, enjoyed the fruit he had left for us, and made our way to reception while it was still pitch black outside. 3:45, 4:00, 4:05, 4:10 - oh dear. Ben became worried and phoned Ilios, our reliable transport company. No answer. Of particular concern was our connection in Jo’berg and limited time in Livingstone - our flight left at 6:00AM, it was now 4:15, and took 40 minutes to get to the airport. Ben became concerned and phone Christna - our wine guide from the day before - as he dialed he mentioned she was probably our last hope (taxis aren’t so much an option). Christna didn’t answer but the day before she had told us that she received an early wake up call a week earlier to get a couple to the airport as their transport had also failed. She didn’t pick up. Ben tried Ilios one additional time and got an answer. At 4:20, the man at the other end of the phone informed Ben that his car had broken down and he was unable to retrieve the hotel’s phone number. Far fetched story if you ask me. Ben now tried one last resort - the Winelands Experience Company, and managed to speak with a guide. He would be at our hotel in 20 minutes to retrieve us. We wouldn’t get to the airport until 5:25. Lines were long but somehow we managed a costly maneuver to get us to the ticket counter to check our bags, x-ray ourselves, and make it onto our flight in the nick-of-time. We’re in Jo’Berg right and our flight boards in 15 minutes. We can’t wait for Livingstone - I’ve almost convinced Tab to bungeeeeeeeeee!

On a side note, Ilios later apologized for the inconvenience and went out of their way and beyond the call to show us this incident was the real exception to their service. The company were gracious as you

Tuesday July 1 - 10:39AM
Update - Turns our as we boarded the bus to the airplane a refined and well spoken tour guide named Nazeem asked me if I wouldn’t mind if he sat in a seat directly behind me. A couple minutes later we drummed up a conversation and it turns out that Nazeem’s son is best friends with Owner of Ilios travel - Nazeem phoned the owner immediately to relay our story and apparently the owner was shocked. Imagine the coincidence!

Tuesday July 1 - 8:00PM
Update - The pic on the front - to be continued!!! (but no animals were hurt before, during, or after our filming.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb