Zambia border crossing


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
January 27th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kasane border crossingKasane border crossingKasane border crossing

Aerial view of the Kasane ferry

Arriving in Africa



Zambia border crossing

We arranged our African adventure with the adventure travel company 2Africa.

A transfer had been arranged from Livingstone, Zambia to Chobe Safari Lodge in Botswana. Unfortunately, no one was there to meet us at the small airport in Livingstone.

After talking this over with a couple of taxi drivers, the consensus was that we needed to hire a taxi to take us to the border crossing at the Kasane ferry. We would enter Botswana and find transprotation to Chobe there. Hopefully.

OK. Sounds like a plan. Our driver was a women. None of the men wanted to take the fare. We settled on a rate and off we went.

The drive took about an hour. We went through Zambian customs and got our tickets for the ferry. Our driver explained that we were entering a no man's land netween the borders. Usually there were safari lodge transfers waiting on the other side of the Zambezi river. Maybe we could catch a ride. She wished us good luck and we were on our own.

We crossed the river and found a group a Germans that were heading to Chobe.

They had two seats available in their caravan and we hitched a ride.

This is adventure travel. A bit nerve racking at times but memorable.

Why nerve racking? The border closes at nightfall and time was not on our side. We made the next to last ferry crossing.

Why was this so memorable? Our taxi driver was a gem. We chatted the whole way. She guided us through customs and got us our ferry tickets. We tipped her well.

Also, we saw the only Zebra of our entire trip on the road from Livingstone to Kasane. Had we known that this would be the only Zebra that we would see, we would have stopped and taken a picture. Just one lone Zebra standing on the side of the road. Go figure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Livingstone airport parkingLivingstone airport parking
Livingstone airport parking

Busy day at the airport


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb