Rafting the Mighty Zambisi


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So after the adventorous day yesterday, and experiecing the river from above the Falls, i thought it was only appropriate to also experience the river as it winds itself between the two countries of Zimbabwe and Zambia through the gorge, and so rafting it was!
Well, let me tell you the Zambisi at low waterlevels is a class 5 river and one of the 5 best rivers to raft in the world (not sure who rates this sort of things, but, i'll take the word for it 😊.
so , after hiking down to the Boiling point once again, we put our rafts in the water, and our guide Melvin instructed the "crew" which consisted of three German guys, another American girl, a local "guide in training" and myself ( had to say good bye to the teachers in the morning, since they were heading back to Namibia) . So rapid number 1 "the Wall" was our first class 4-5, and already the mighty Zambisi got the the best of us... we flipped the boat in a massive wave... i'll spare you all the details of trying to come up for air... and so forth, all you need to know is that we all came back up in one piece, and off it was for try number 2, since the current actually pushed us back up river instead of down... so here we go, paddling hard, approaching the wall, and bam! we flip the boat again... again.. details later.. but it was quite hairy, but this time the current pushes us down river... where collect our raft, a couple of rescue kayaks collect the "swimmers" and the paddles and after a big "oh my god can you believe that just happened to us...holy s..." we moved down river and proceeded on the most exciting and eventful, and thrilling rafting tip i have ever been on!

I'll let the pics speak for themselves...what a day.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.41s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.3429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb