An autumn evening mugging


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
November 13th 2006
Published: December 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Se BraSe BraSe Bra

A Zebra at the Munda Wanga park.

GENTLEMEN


The sign on the door announced.
Not that there was sign of any gentlemanly behaviour hitherto in the small toilet. On the contrary - the urine sprayed walls indicated of a squalid border police force.
A squalid border police force that - led by their smirky police chief - had done a descent job delaying our entry by three hours.
Accompanying us in our frustration was a Namibian truck driver, though delayed for a full 24 hours he was too seasoned to show any sign of frustration. In fact, he was so seasoned that he didn’t show any facial expressions at all. The elements of the Namibian desert had shaped his face like a limestone statue to resemble a furrowed, tawny hawk.
He was the first white African we’d met.

His truck cabin’s panoramic windshield was like a big movie screen as he drove through the vast terra firma of the Copperbelt province. The setting sun caressed the opencast mines and the mesa-like mountains with a coppery hue as we were gently rocketed asleep to the tunes of some Afrikaaner Johnny Cash.
Induced by liquefied diet-pills the truck driver drove through the night
CopperCopperCopper

The road leading through the big cities Ndola and Kitwe in the Copperbelt Province , then all the way down to Lusaka.
and as he eventually stopped some 60 kilometres north of Lusaka it was 4 a.m. and we had since long been fast asleep.
The next morning he bought us breakfast in the shop-cum-café where we had parked, and as we sat down to eat the young owner of the place joined us with a sullen look. Eventually the coffee started to work and his manners softened so much that he invited us to stay with him.
His family had a house half a kilometre away from where they controlled their huge tobacco farms in the area, but for the moment his parents were on vacation in South Africa and the house was empty, so he asked us to join him for the independence day celebrations and to stay for a couple of nights.
We were in no hurry to reach Lusaka so it suited us fine to stay with the farmer - eat some good food, access modern amenities (It was so long ago since we had access to a TV that we watched nine movies in two days) and get an insight into running a large scale African farm.
The truck driver said goodbye with
Stay in focusStay in focusStay in focus

A colour changing friend from the animal kingdom. Livingstone.
the same stone-face that he’d kept during the last 24 hours, but I swear I got a quick glimpse of a smile in his eyes.

The days passed fast at the farmer’s house, he was extremely kind to us, but had an appalling opinion about the black population, which made our discussions uncomfortable so we left a bit earlier than we’d expected.

Well in Lusaka we were shocked by the city’s appearance.
Neat and sanitized.
On the clean and efficient street network surrounding the high walled compounds, methodically planted rows of Jacaranda and Bougainvillea gave a relieving shade to the well-dressed inhabitants.
A few modern and expensive malls dotted the cityscape and on the main avenue, some soviet era high-rises stood spreading greyness over the already bland city that I can’t describe better than the most soulless African capital I’ve visited so far.
Still it worked like a class-A drug on us and we spent eleven nights hobnobbing with other travellers.

The disastrous land reform in neighbouring Zimbabwe that sent the country’s economy into a freefall and scared off all the tourists, benefited no country better than the neglected little
Legal AlienLegal AlienLegal Alien

No problems at the immigration office for this foreign Mama. Munda Wanga park.
brother Zambia where all the tourists now went instead. We hadn’t seen so many tourists since Morocco nine months earlier and we had to add some new expressions to our vocabulary:

"The big five". Five different species of mammals roaming the African savannah that apparently is a “must-see”.
"The big trip". A phrase invented by a famous guidebook company for travelling in the Southern African region for a couple of months.
"Overlanders". Large groups of people that pay a fortune to escape independent travelling.
"Backpackers’" A place specially aimed for the “Overlanders” and the other tourists that do the so-called “Big trip”. Often in connection to a park where the so-called “Big five” can be ticked of the “must-see-list”.
Got it?

I’ve figured out two things:
1: In the Southern African region people primarily come to look at animals.
2: For any activity imaginable, there’s someone to charge for it, most probably the “Backpackers’” in which you stay.

Probably it won’t take that long before we also give in and join the safari.
Time will tell.
We visited the Lusaka playhouse twice for two totally different
Into the sunInto the sunInto the sun

Sunset outside our guesthouse in Lusaka.
but equally unforgettable (and puzzling) performances and were lucky to attend the “First Ever Lusaka International Film Festival” - a free event that sadly didn’t get many visitors. Spent a day at the Munda Wanga zoo and botanical garden, visited the German embassy (!?), went to a R&B club (where we were so misplaced) and spent a whole night looking for a Halloween party, but first and foremost we spent our time in the Backpackers’ communal kitchen with the other campers.
Sharing information and beliefs, worries and laughter.
The Southern African region seemed far less safe than we’d expected. Most other travellers had a story about themselves being robbed. A young German had been robbed at knifepoint in Mozambique, two American girls had had their daypacks (with Cameras, Laptops I-pods and so on) snatched at a train station in Zimbabwe. An Israeli couple had had passports and money stolen from their car outside a shopping centre in Namibia, a Japanese guy was mugged in Soweto (that one’s a classic) South Africa and one Dutch guy was mugged at gunpoint outside his tent at a campground in Botswana.
So it wasn’t more than fair that we also got
FriendlyFriendlyFriendly

Our friendly gatekeeper at the guesthouse, Lusaka.
mugged, at the sleepy streets of Lusaka one early Tuesday evening on the last of October.

We were walking back from the main street, Cairo Road, to our guesthouse, but instead of taking the normal short way back via the police station we decided to take a small detour via a bottle store connected to a filling station on the Great East Road. From the huge roundabout at the northern end of Cairo Road to the first streetlights on the Great East Road one had to walk 150 metres in the dark. The potholed pavement then joined the illuminated car road on top of a bridge crossing the city’s train tracks.

It all happened very quickly.
As we were walking we started talking about the time that Aili was stalked in Togo, like if we subconsciously knew that something would happen. I looked over my shoulder and saw four guys come running towards us.
Damn.
This is actually happening to us
, I thought.
I kicked off my flip-flops and started running. At the illuminated top of the bridge I looked back and saw that they’d caught Aili. I jumped out into the
Looking backLooking backLooking back

A mongoose probably thinking I'm a little bit too close. Munda Wanga.
traffic trying to stop the cars, but the either accelerated so I had to jump to the side, or steered away to the other side of the road - avoiding me. After some thirty seconds (that felt like an eternity) Aili came running to me. We hurried further up the road to the bottle store where we slowly calmed down.
Two men had held her while the other two had body-searched her, stolen her wallet and bolted.


We left for Livingstone.
A small town next to the famous Victoria Falls, which probably is the biggest tourist attraction - along with the Pyramids and Kilimanjaro - on the continent.
The town had the word tourist trap smeared all over the place, and we didn’t really like it but yet again we got stuck for a long time.
We staid at the “Jollyboys” - an archetypal Backpackers’ institution - that was overcrowded with travellers. Some people had staid there for more than three months and the hobby anthropologist within me tried to figure out the hierarchy between the kayakers, rafters and their groupies - the blond girls volunteering at the Livingstone hospital.

Aili (who
Alien PlantAlien PlantAlien Plant

I think I saw it move, but I'm not sure. It does look weird though. Munda Wanga park.
I think should write a book about her bargaining skills) mysteriously arranged white-water rafting for us at a third of the price, and the trip has definitively been one of the highlights for us in Africa.

Eagles (and helicopter) in the sky, monkeys climbing the gorge sides and far too many crocodiles in the water.
The lower the water - the rougher the ride, and this was the low water season.
It was easy to be cocky when the others fell out of the raft, and we all had a companionable laugh at their panicky faces as we pulled them back into the raft.
But it was a totally different thing to be caught in the angry rapids oneself - gasping for air - as the basic survival instincts triggered the mind to be anything but calm and rational. It’s the wildest commercial rafting in the world and the Zambezi River annually claims the life of two rafters.
The accompanying raft flipped over at the aptly named “Devil’s Toilet Bowl”, our rescue raft at “Gnawing Jaws of Death” and we flipped over at the feared and esteemed “Mother” - the final of the big
Are you talking to me?Are you talking to me?Are you talking to me?

Taxi driver on the move. Lusaka.
rapids.
After lunch the remaining rapids were a bit calmer and for long stretches we gently floated down the Zambezi, watching the initially steep and narrow gorge, broaden and flatten out.
Some stretches were considered “croc-safe” and we all jumped into the warm water and drifted in our life jackets. After some time the guide started screaming to us to hurry back up into the raft and judging by his voice and eyes, we realised that he was genuinely worried. Only some 20 seconds after the last one of us had got back up into the raft, we floated past a croc laying sunbathing on the flat black stones next to the river.

The following day we changed our last kwacha into greenbacks and crossed what arguably is the most beautiful border crossing in the world:
The magnificent Victoria Falls Bridge.
Spanning over the deep gorge, offering great views over the surrounding area and connecting Zambia with the dream that slowly faded into a nightmare - Mugabe’s Zimbabwe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

NetworkNetwork
Network

Well planned shade for the Lusakans. Lusaka.
Botanic gardenBotanic garden
Botanic garden

Munda Wanga.
Ein,Zwei!Ein,Zwei!
Ein,Zwei!

The German Embassy takes safety first. Are they still hiding some potent coctail from Hahn and Heisselmanns atomic recipes behind all that wire? The Diplomatic triangle, Lusaka.
Brother behind barsBrother behind bars
Brother behind bars

My chattering relative was behind bars in the Munda Wanga, as always with zoos it's nice to get the opportunity to see all the animals that would otherwise be inpossible to see. But the whole cage thing is a sad must.
Stitching by the poolStitching by the pool
Stitching by the pool

Aili had her wallet in the back pocket in her shorts. The eager muggers didn't let her open the button to the pocket but instead torn off the whole thing. Lusaka.
Walk the walkWalk the walk
Walk the walk

What to choose? They all look so, colourful? Time for new footwear, Lusaka.
Scream like a baboonScream like a baboon
Scream like a baboon

The troop commander was making his presence hard to miss by constantly screaming, at Munda Wanga.
Cook like a goodCook like a good
Cook like a good

Krishna the last reincarnation of Vishnu kept us company in the campers' kitchen. Cooking killer meals and spreading a beautiful smell of C. Sativa in the surrounding. Lusaka, Cha-cha-cha.
Hard working manHard working man
Hard working man

Filling up the tank of the farmers car, somewhere on a dust road where it's very inconvenient to have your car breaking down. I eventually got an opportunity to drive a car for the first time in 10 months. I miss driving, miss ruining nature, it's so fun.
Not so hard working manNot so hard working man
Not so hard working man

A great friend, Andrej. A Polish, noh, Slovakian, eh? no, Slovenian.. that had learned Swedish in 6 months, speaking it far better than me (using less crappy working-class slang that is.). Livingstone.
King of the hillKing of the hill
King of the hill

The celebrity at Munda Wanga, a male lion with unknown name.
Meine Freunde aus DeutschneylandMeine Freunde aus Deutschneyland
Meine Freunde aus Deutschneyland

Another not so famous celebrity at Munda Wanga, a male human named Nicki. Putting excitement into prespective. Be excited, be be excited..


16th December 2006

kolla upp!, jag ser dig på google earth.
sitter bakfull och nyvaknad i min fuktiga 35grader varma lägenhet och funderar på om jag inte skall ringa och beställa en halv liter glass till dörren. Alltid en glad överaskning att se ditt bloggmail i inboxen. Du säger att ni firade halloween? Hur stor lagg är det på inläggen? du kan ju va var som helst nu juh. Jag fortsätter leta rätt på dig på google earth.
16th December 2006

du, jenny som jag bor med hälsar förresten. hon är "mackan på tine"s ex flickvän tydligen.
18th December 2006

Chef Krishna
gday mate, loved your zambia blog. we also stayed at cha cha cha and only a few weeks ago met chef krishna cooking up an organic storm in windhoek namibia. keep safe, especially at borders. snozlington
18th December 2006

wonderful
wonderful blog! You helped me decide on going to Africa! Thanks and have a great trip!
19th December 2006

Jättefin blog, Bobbie, känns ibland som om jag var fortfarande i Afrika! Är rätt så stolt över att vara med. :) Tack för boken förresten, den var kanonbra. Ha en toppen jul därnere, vi hörs!
24th December 2006

Den goda julen!
Hej! Ville bara önska er en jätte god jul och ett toppen nyår! Just ätit julbordet med släkten uppe i Jokkmokk en strålande vykorts vinterdag med mycket snö och 15 minusgrader! Men längtar bara vidare till nya äventyr! Ha de super fint ni båda och ta hand om er!
31st December 2006

Imorgon lamnar jag Nepal, kanns valdigt skont, tillbaks till fina Goteborg. Vi ses val om ett ar kan jag tanka! Hoppas ni slipper traffa pa fler manniskor som inte ar snalla (dumma).
20th February 2007

far inte vara med......
tjena bobbysan! horro, har inte fatt ngn blogg pa lange, e jag ffd med pa listan?? kan du snalla kolla upp det vannen? Vill ju veta vad du o min bastis knaprar ihop dar borta. Sa sugen pa att hora vad ni har for er i SA, alskar det stallet. sjukt gott! Sjalv sa e jag i Antigua, karibien o lever livet, som du sakert vet. Mar super. har formodligen en charter till jamaica!!! ska svanga mina lurviga till tunga rytmer!!! ge aili en kram o skot om er! karlek o saltvind anna

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb