Christmas Holidays: Episode 1


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Kabwe
January 3rd 2010
Published: January 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Alright ... so much to write about ... I'm writing a trilogy ... probably comparable to Lord of the Rings ... FIRE IT UP!

December 13th:
I left the DRG and made it into Kabwe Zambia ... another grrreat border crossing! Always an adventure when dealing with Congolese officials of any kind. Erick escorted me all the way through to the Zambian side with almost no problems. Side Note: I forgot my Yellow Fever card in Canada ... something that is pretty vital to entry and exit of countries around the DRG area ... managed to get it emailed to me and print it off ... IN COLOUR ... no big deal ... it actually worked.
Anyway made it into Zambia and had James and Sukai waiting for me with their car ready to rush me to the bus station. I laughed for most of the drive ... mostly because the roads in Zambia in comparison to the roads in the DRG are ... EPIC! So smooth and fast and ... EPIC! That and the fact that Yami, their 2 yr old daughter got some ice cream on the way and made a complete mess of her Sunday church clothes.
So made it to the bus just in time for Kabwe and started the second leg of the journey ... no idea how many legs the journey had so I'm going to stop numbering them right meow. Got on the bus and had a traditional Zambian Sunday bus church service from the sweatiest guy on the planet ... he sat down beside me at one point and started yelling ... I laughed ... until he sprayed some spit on me and asked for money ... wah wah. My perfect Sunday!
Made it to Kabwe where my good friend Christa picked me up as soon as I was off the bus and took me across the street to the best "fast food" joint in Africa ... "Hot or Not" ... sounds awkward but has the best chicken shawarma ever. Headed to the guest house with a full stomach and ready for bed. The room had a TV though ... I hadn't watched TV in over a month and the only channel they had was an American movie channel ... didnt sleep much.
Next few days included sleeping and wandering around Kabwe ... fun stuff. Got a chance to go on some home visits with Christa on one of the days ... I love walking around communities here but in Zambia ... you bike! Had my own Zambike and cruised around for the day. Had to drop my bike at the CBO at the end of the day so Christa and I had to double on her bike back to the guest house ... interesting and the looks we got were amazing.
The next day we left for Lusaka ... pretty good. I found an atm where I could actually pull money from so that was grrreat. We stayed for a couple days and Tina came to meet us from Mozambique ... oh man she had some stories. Glad I took the bus from South Africa and not Mozambique ... my trip was pretty easy compared to hers.
With the dream team formed we headed out of Lusaka to a Park 3 hours west called Kafue. Camped on the banks of the Kafue River for 2 nights ... the river is full of hippos ... oh man ... so crazy ... as soon as I am back in the DRG I'll get some photos going so you can understand just how full. We only brought a 2 man tent for the 3 of us so I decided it would be more comfortable if I just set up my mosquito net next to the tent and slept there ... on the dirt ... that felt like rock ... not comfortable at all. The combination of rock solid ground and stupid amounts of crawling bugs that I couldn't see made for an interesting 2 nights. The first morning we woke up early ... which wasn't difficult at all as I hadn't slept much anyways ... and headed off on a walking safari. Half way through the safari I realized that at some point in the night something had bitten my hand and I could no longer make a fist because it was so swollen ... right on! Walking safari though ... amazing ... right off the bat we saw a bunch of hyenas. Never really seen one up close before ... man they're big ... super cool though. That night we went on a night safari ... saw a leopard ... no big deal. Oh and the place we were staying was a huge lodge with 14 staff ... we were the only guests ... nice work!
After Kafue we headed back to Lusaka for an evening and the next morning started our journey down to Livingstone ... the home of Victoria Falls ... AYAH!

Photos will be up when I get to the DRG ... which should be Thursday the 7th ... the date keeps changing ... TIA.
Stay tuned...

Advertisement



3rd January 2010

EPISODE 2
Come on already
4th January 2010

South Coast NSW Hotels
Just want to say your article is brilliant. The lucidity in your post is simply impressive and i can assume you are an expert on this field. South Coast NSW Hotels
5th January 2010

Nice
Hey Will It sounds great not sure you should be letting Helen in on things like allergic reactions to foreign bugs. Skied at Rogers Pass and thought of you. Waist deep chowder it was sweet. Skied a sluff because I was pushing so much snow. Met up with Will Woods, and Todd. Peace Ryan

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb