7 days, one country, two communities, over 30 connections


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
April 5th 2012
Published: April 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In the last seven days we have had the privilege of being invited in the lives of so many amazing people, young and old to assist us in our journey of our documentary. From playing with small children to providing leadership tools to girls and young women, and hearing the trials and triumphs of women and their views about the future.

Tia and I have had endless conversations in the last week about our experiences, at times so overwhelming. We have traveled thousands of kms, taken various flights, been in a number of cars, and walked on a few dirt paths, been on a couple scary evening motorcycle rides, and had quite a few unbelievable conversations that have moved us. Almost everyone we have met (both rich and poor) has lost at least one family member to AIDS or disease. Almost everyone girl we've talked to has a dream most of which involve helping their communities. From rural Ibanda to city Kampala we have been so blessed to hear the inner voices of people, many of whom have experienced so much tragedy but have soo much love to give. They opened their homes to us and fed us, they laughed with us and trusted us enough to share their inner thoughts and dreams.

So much has happened and to recount it all would mean writing a book so I'll share the two things that have stood out the most:

One the last day in Ibanda we finished our workshop series with the 21 girls and 10 boys and asked them ways of how to work together to work toward a more equal future, their answered were brilliant. This was a BIG deal at the boys and girls NEVER have sat together before. At the end of the workshop the headmaster stated that the girls had something for us. One by one each girl came, thanked us, knelt to the ground and gave us fruits. The headmaster stated the girls had done this on their own account. We were both in tears. The gratitude was overwhelming. To have nothing and to offer gifts of fruit is a big deal. We had an abundance of fresh pineapple, avocados, guavas, and bananas.

Then we headed off to Kampala were we met two young women I worked with in 2010 when I did a Passion Project with them at the Bavubuka
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

By Loretta Cella
house. They came and met us at the place were we staying. Each shared about all the successes they had and stated it was because of the training I did with them two years before. I was in awe at what they had accomplished in such a short time. They started their own movement you can find their group on Facebook. Their stories will be in our documentary. You WILL be amazed. They come from a family of 18 children and their courage is moving. I feel honoured to have been and continue to be a part of their journey as much as I can.

Tia and I have had sleepless nights for various reasons, most I think because we have so many things going through our minds but we know we are on the right path. We have had soo many fortuitious moments that can't be explained and have created so many more opportunities for this project and the future of the Passion Foundation it's amazing.

We now sit at Gatwick airport awaiting our flight to Turin where we embark on part 2 of our first steps toward creating a Global Sorority


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

By Tia Kelly
LunchLunch
Lunch

By Tia Kelly
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

By Tia Kelly
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

By Tia Kelly
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

By Tia Kelly
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

By Tia Kelly


5th April 2012

Love it!
I love what you are doing and am very moved by your stories. Thank you for sharing....yourselves and your stories. Love and light are expressing through you...and the world is a little brighter!

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb