Free Day


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
November 16th 2011
Published: December 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 - Day 9 of tour

We hired a taxi to drive a few of us to town (Kabale) in the morning, and we wandered around the town, visited a few shop, accessed the internet, and bought coffee...Happy day!

The town is a pretty typical African town, with a few supermarkets, and shops for locals (clothing, cell phones, etc).

We then drove to the market located several blocks away. There were sections for produce vendors, butchers, and miscellaneous items. The meat was not refrigerated, and was hanging on meat hooks and you could see flies all around...it didn't bother me so much but Ezio did not care for the smell at all!

While we were walking through the meat section, a man stepped out in front of me and in my personal space. He asked me a few questions and then introduced himself, and then asked Ezio for his name and whether I was his wife. We replied "yes" and he backed down immediately. (When travelling, we just find that this is best rather than saying "no" and explaining.)

We went back to the campsite for lunch and then walked around the area looking for a fair trade shop. We encountered a boy that said that he lived in an orphanage and he would bring us to a place that raises funds for the orphanage. It was his sister's house! It was interesting to see her house and there was a rabbit and chicken coup in the yard. She showed us a few things that she made and I bought a frame and coasters made from banana leaf. It was obvious that she wasn't raising funds for the orphanage but the prices they were asking were reasonable and it must've taken her many hours to make.

After much walking, we finally found the fair trade shop (Edirisa) but did not purchase anything. It was in the most inconvenient location, after we thought we reached it, we had to pass beyond the school, beyond the loo, and then around a bend and down some stairs. They only had a handful of items. We couldn't stay long since we had other plans.

We were going to watch the sunset from the top of a hill at the Acadia Hotel but on the hike up, Ezio and I had fight and I decided to turn back. I had second thoughts since the view was reported to be beautiful, so I also hiked to the top. The surrounding area of the lake is very hilly and the lake is oddly shaped. In the lake are a number of islands, and one is name Punishment Island because pregnant unmarried women would be sent there to die. After reaching the viewpoint, I walked farther, and returned before sunset since it is not advisable for a woman to walk alone. BTW, all is fine between us - everything was resolved!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb