Island life


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
May 19th 2019
Published: May 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We arrived on Kalangalaat island, the biggest of the Ssese Islands last night. We had arrived via a ferry from Entebbe. We arrived at the port by 1pm yesterday after hearing that the boat leaves for the island at 2pm. We wanted to be early to buy tickets and ensure our place on the boat. As it turns out, delays kept us from boarding the boat until 5pm. It was an uncertain afternoon waiting for a fuel truck to arrive to refuel the boat. We mostly sat by the water enjoying the sun hoping we would get on the boat eventually and make it to the island.
When we eventually made it on the boat we took some time to adjust to the crowds and uncertainty many of us felt about public transport while carrying most of are worldly possessions. Quickly we adjusted and made some great friends on the boat and learned some new card games including matatu, a game very similar to uno, as well as a game called donkey.
The hotel is beautiful and we were all very relieved to have arrived. We had a great meal provided by the hotel last night and we were very eager to enjoy the beautiful island in he morning sunlight. Unfortunately the thunderstorm that have been a standard most night has carried into the morning today. It is still raining and we are waiting for it to clear so we can explore the island a little.

Food power rankings (favourite foods from the trip):
1. Breakfast half cakes- fried dough that resembled unsweetened donuts but with specks of tomato past throughout
2. Ground nut sauce - a peanut sauce made with some cooked dark leafy greens. Cooked in a norther Ugandan style. Absolutely delicious on top of rice and matooke (mashed plantains).
3. Fruit!- the mangos are especially delicious.
4. Bean curry- curry sauce made with a mixture of beans that was served as part of our first meal at


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb