about turn...


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region
March 17th 2010
Published: March 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

i've decided to abandon ship (brave or stupid i'll never know but it's done) - the leader of the project was an absolute loonie and unfortunately, in my eyes, seemed to be leading the project to have a big party not to help anyone necessarily! he'd collected the japanese and taken the entire day traipsing them shopping and waiting for him here there and everywhere, for a journey that should take 3 hours...the poor volunteers. so when they did arrive (21h) and had been put into a tiny room with 2 sleeping on each small mattress and no spare room at sides for luggage, all they wanted to do was sleep but he put on the ghetto blaster and rather nice computer....hmmmm where did that come from....probably about 10kids annual school fees just there, and made everyone eat and then dance and then started an orientation session!!! one guy piped up and said they were all tired and he got shouted down because he wasn't the group leader..... ca commence bien!!!!!

the list of things getting to me was getting longer..... the welcome was not exactly great, not feeding me or helping when i asked where to get water from, plus having started a day later than scheduled (and finishing two days early) and when i asked why i'd been asked to turn up 2 days early they just shrugged their shoulders! i wasn't too impressed by the sound system nor the fact that the local volunteers coincidentally happened to be teachers from the school we were at, not under privileged community members..... plus they were sleeping in the box of a room despite having houses in the village. The entire teaching staff seemed to be one big family, brothers, sisters, wifes, husbands too......every time i asked what we were going to be doing they weren't too sure or not letting on.

unfortunately not having any good english speakers in the group i had no one to let off steam with or laugh it off with and so instead of getting more and more frustrated, and sat around bored every afternoon, i decided to move on, that was, until the taxi ran out of petrol....oh the joys of this continent 😊
i love it really.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb