IDP Camps


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Northern Region
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post


For the past 20 years, the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) has abducted civilians, including children and used themto increase the size and strength of the LRA ranks, and the girls used as sex slaves, and often as wives to the officers. As a result, the Ugandan government has moved the majority of the Acholi population into IDP camps. The Acholi people come from Northern Uganda, and specifically from the distircts of Kitgam, Pader, Lira and Gulu and now there are more than 1.5 million people living in the IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) camps. Thousands of people are living in each of these camps, which are designed to provide safety for the Acholi people who have lived for years with the fear of being killed, mutilated or abducted by the LRA. As a consequence, these families have lost their homes, farms, livelihood and village life which is so intergral to their culture. They now survive in overcrowded camps, with minimal resources and hygiene, and have lost their independence and autonomy - many Acholi children have only ever lived in these camps.
The governement has been in ongoing peace talks with the LRA for the last few years, but to date there has been no formal agreement, and until that time, the people will continue being provided safety and shelter in the IDP camps. From what I understand, the LRA leader Joseph Koning is unwilling to meet for the peace talks, as he realises that he will then be tried as a war criminal.





Advertisement



20th April 2009

Reality
What you wrote was certainly true. Uganda had over 2 million internally displaced people in terrible camps...I live here and have often been in the north...the news in Uganda is one about people slowly returning home to their villages...if I read your article correctly, there is nothing about the cessation of fire that has been in place for the last two years. That Kony has not been active for in Uganda for two years. That the night commuter situation of children in Northern Uganda has stopped and children remain in their homes instead of sleeping in towns like Gulu because the fear of abductions is slowly dissipating. That Northern Uganda is slowly rebuilding, schools are opening, fields are once again being tended, even a wildlife reserve has reopened and animals are being relocated into it. That Gulu under the leadership of Mr. Mayo is becoming an example for other Ugandan cities. The scars of people, especially the inner ones will take a lifetime if ever to be removed...but Northern Uganda is on the mend. Mr. Kony, the former altar boy has taken his terror to nearby DRC, at times South Sudan and even the CAR. Three nations tried to kill or capture him in a period of three months that just ended, but were able to diminish the capabilities of the LRA...some child soldiers were freed including some women who were concubines with their children. The peace treaty, the reason you gave is correct, he is afraid to be tried by the International Criminal Court and wants amnesty. You can read of what is really going on in Uganda by reading "the New Vision on line, the Monitor, the Weekly Observer and the weekly magazine Independent." Thank goodness that those camps are slowly emptying and when you visit Northern Uganda may you see the reality of a slow rebuilding but it is coming alive and businesses are locating there, new establishments area opening...but then in the West, especially the USA it is "The war in Northern Uganda...hmmm...
21st April 2009

Hi there Jon i am so thankful for your update, and am grateful to learn more about the reality of what is happening in Gulu now. So much of the information we receive is outdated, so this information is so vital, and also very positive! I will include information about the ceasefire on the blog. It is wonderful to hear that people are returning to their villages, it will go some way to healing their scars. What are you doing in Uganda? Nice to hear from you. Lisa (Australia)

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb