Back in the big city


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Entebbe
May 6th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!! I don't think Matt fully captured everything that has been going on the last little while so I'll fill in some gaps... First of all, everyone here is really amazing. They call white people "mzungu" which is hilarious. When our car broke down we were surrounded by about 30 kids all waving and screaming "HI MZUNGU!!! HI MZUNGU!!!" It's hilarious.... while we were on safari this past weekend we stopped by a little town for a few cold beers one afternoon and the same thing happened - anytime white people show up it's like holiday time for the kids... Matt and my uncle were playing a sort of simon says game with them that was so funny to watch, they would make a face and then the kids would copy them. Definitely a priceless moment....

The other cool thing is the transportation. It is INCREDIBLY sketchy... Uganda is home to some of the wildest, but most talented, drivers I've ever seen in my life!! We went into downtown Kampala today to see the city on our own and get used to using public transportation, which consists of either matatus (minibuses that seat up to 14 people (but no chickens yet) and tear along the road honking like mad until they slow down for a split second to allow enough time for you to jump in and then tear off again) and boda-bodas, which are little motorcycles that do basically the same thing. No helmets, no safety gear.... it was super scary but that's how everyone lives around here so I have to get used to it!!! hahaha we took a boda-boda back from town today and honestly it was so fun but a tad scary... kind of like a roller coaster!!

And the guns!! I mean this is a good thing, I've come to realize that it's better to have security guards on our side than a bunch of wild gunmen on the other side. It is hard to get used to, because the security guys here don't keep their guns all holstered away like they do in north america. They full-on have their rifles hanging on their shoulders at all times while they wander around the area they have to patrol. Pretty unnerving!!! On Thursday, while we were getting our roof rack fixed, I had to sit in a gas station parking lot with all our stuff for like 2 and a half hours and this nice armed security guard came by and built a little fence around me out of rope and pylons so no one would drive over me or steal my stuff, which was a very nice gesture!! hahaha it is taking some getting used to for sure though...

Anyways, I have to get going. We're going white-water rafting for the next couple days so I will try to post on Friday before we take off on our own.... Take care everyone, we love and miss you loads!!

xoxo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb