Day Four, January 7


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » Tunis
February 9th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we went to the American cemetery. The speaker was probably the best so far. He was very engaging. It was emotional for some of us, too. We then visited some Carthaginian sites. We saw the aquaducts, and some other ruins, and mosaics. Its a humbling experience to be in a country with thousands of years of history, coming from a country that's so young. There were tombs lined up near the museum, and it was depressing to see that visitors had thrown trash into some of them. There is a lot of trash in the countryside, too. While in the cities there are street cleaners everywhere, I don't think they are available in the rural areas. Tunisia has been working on increasing environmental awareness, however. They have statues of some strange cartoonish figure all over the place, and wherever one is located, the street is named Boulevard de l'Environment. Its not working...yet. Insha'allah it will.
Night time with the host family is wonderful. I learn a lot, especially from Ines. She's a travel agent, 28 years old, and she's very intelligent. Some nights we discuss politics. I find I agree with her a lot. They don't like war, they don't like violence, Mama and Ines don't even like violence on tv. As Arabs, they identify with the Palestinians, so that is the greatest problem they have with the US, its support of Israel. It's very enlightening conversation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 150, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb