Spice Islands of Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
March 7th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The 'Spice Islands' of Zanzibar

The 'Spice Islands' of Zanzibar consists of two main islands, Unguja and Pemba and with some 50 smaller islands surrounding the archipelago. Unguja is the main island and most developed of the two. Many people refer to it as Zanzibar, so please do not get confused when we refer to it as Unguja. The population of Zanzibar is about one million people, of which 350,000 are found on Pemba. The majority of people inhabit Stone Town (which is the "capitol" of Zanzibar). Zanzibar is part of the United Republic of Tanzania but administratively there is an autonomous government for matters that are not part of the union agreement.

Zanzibar, Pemba and Mafia Island are part of a coral reef barrier along the Tanzania coast. The resorts here are becoming recognized as among the top in the world. The crystal clear water, beautiful beaches and luxurious vegetation form a paradise that provides a wonderful combination of Swahili culture, superb diving and wonderful cuisine. A visit to any of these islands is easily added to yours holiday.
Fisherman - Zanzibar Islands

East Zanzibar’s coastline offers some of the best beaches in the world, but sand and surf vary depending on what side of the island you’re on. On the Northeast coast are Nungwi and Kiwengwa where waves break over coral reefs and sand bars offshore, and low tide reveals small pools of starfish, small minnows, and anemones. On the North coast, ocean swimming is much less susceptible to the tides, and smooth beaches and white sand make for dazzling days in the sun. These areas are so sparse that at the right time of the year, you may even have a whole stretch of beach to yourself.

Most tourist prefer Zanzibar beach holidays usually in the North or East Coast of Unguja Island after a vacation on the mainland. Zanzibar remains one of the most beautiful and exotic island destinations in Africa and most visitors on a safari on the mainland add on an excorsion to the Islands to cap off their safaris.

How To Get There
Many airlines from Europe and the rest of the world fly to Zanzibar: mirates, Oman Air, Alitalia, Gulf Air, etc. Regional flights from Nairobi, Mombasa, Arusha and Dar es Salaam (Dar) are operated daily. Zanzibar is also accessable by sea with hourly ferries departing from Dar each day.

What To Do (Activities)
Activities such as island hopping, swimming with dolphins, scuba diving and snorking are available. The one-day Spice Tour and the half-day Stone Town Tour are highly recommended or go on a wildlife adventure. Learn more about Zanzibar tours and excursions.

When To Go
Accessible year round. Dry season, June-August. Wet season November-March. December- February.

Accommodation
Stay at the Zanzibar Serena Inn or Tembo Hotel in Stone Town, Zamani Kempinski Hotel, Blue Bay Resort or Karafuu in the East Coast.

For more details please see this link http://amani-tours.com/attractions/zanzibar.htm

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb