Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
January 25th 2013
Published: January 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Selous Game Reserve



Size: 29,816 sq km (11,512 sq miles).
Location:Southeast Tanzania, 450 km (285 miles) Southwest of Dar es Salaam.

The Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania is the world's largest game reserve - 4 times the size of the Serengeti. It is located in the Rufiji River basin and includes grasslands and forests. It possesses a diverse landscape from hot volcanic springs, sporadic lakes, channels from the Great Rhaha and Rufiji rivers. The Rufiji River, with its lagoons, sandbanks and lakes, and the surrounding forests and woodlands that make up the Selous create a very unique and unusual safari environment.

Covering almost 50,000 square km, an area greater than Switzerland, the Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania is one of the largest areas set aside for wildlife preservation anywhere in the world, although only a small northern portion is allocated for photographic safaris. The vast area contained within the reserve boundaries accounts for 5%!o(MISSING)f the land mass of Tanzania, and yet all options for tourists are high quality, low-impact safari lodges that provide a high standard of accommodation.

Wildlife
The Selous has a broad range of big game: buffalo - the largest population in Africa; Nyasaland gnu; brindled gnu; hartebeest; Greater Kudu; sable antelope; eland; reedbuck; bushbuck; waterbuck; warthog; zebras; giraffe; and wildebeest. Safaris in the Selous are famous for the elephant, hippopotamus and rhino (although now few remain) populations. Also: lion, leopard, the spotted hyeana and hunting dog are in abundance; cheetah are rare; there are over 350 species of bird and reptiles such as crocodiles and various snakes and lizards. There are many elephants, lions, zebras, and other wildlife in the reserve.

How To Get There
A Selous holidays is best organised by flying from Dar es Salaam - all safari camps have an airstrip for light aircraft so you can reach your lodge easily.

What To Do (Activities)
Take a cable car across Stieglers Gorge (100 metres deep and 100 metres wide); bird watching; photography; walking safaris; and fishing Tiger Fish and Vandu (in the rivers of the Kilombero Game Controlled Area to the west of the reserve). Selous safari game viewing, balloon safaris and boating trips on the great Rufiji River are readily arranged.

When To Go
Accessible year round. Dry season, June-August. Wet season November-March. December- February.

Accommodation
Mainly based in the north of the reserve. Stay in the either the Island Mbuyini luxury tented camp, the Sand River Lodge, the Selous Safari Camp, or the Rufiji River Camp. Selous safari drives, boat trips, and walking safaris into the reserve may be made from these safari camps and lodges.



For more information about our safari company please visit: Amani-Tours.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb