A Short History Lesson On The Town Of Bagamoyo


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
January 26th 2013
Published: January 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On Dayna's last day in Tanzania, we headed to the town of Bagamoyo to ensure her trip was more than just animals. Alladin, the husband of Michelle, my co-worker, was our driver for the day. He made sure we saw everything that we needed to see in as short of time as possible. We were on a tight schedule.

Bagamoyo is approximately 45 kms north of Dar es Salaam and you can make it there in just over an hour if the traffic cooperates. Our first stop was the Kaole Ruins.

Located 3 kilomtres from Bagamoyo, the ruins date back to the 13th century. Our guide told us that this was where the Persian traders landed in East Africa. With the prevailing monsoon winds, it made it easy for them to get back and forth to Zanzibar (located 20 nautical miles away).

The archaeological site has two mosques and 30 tombs. Apparently, the diwanis are buried there, i.e., the local sultans, descendants of Ali Muhamad al-Hatim al-Barawi.

The site is located one kilometre from the ocean and is protected by mangroves. The locals come here everyday to farm snails.

From the ruins we headed to the
Entrance To The MosqueEntrance To The MosqueEntrance To The Mosque

The pile of rubble on the left is the roof that eventually collapsed.
town of Bagamoyo and The Cathoic Church Museum. Admission was 3,000 Tsh per person ($1.80 CAD), but since we had a camera, we had to pay 1,000 more in case we took pictures. I took photos, ensuring I got my 60 cents worth for the blog.

Bagamoyo was founded at the end of the 18th century. It was original capital of German east Africa and was one of the most important trading ports along the coast. Today the town has about 30,000 inhabitants.

Bagamoyo which means "Lay down your Heart" in in swahili. Some say it refers to the slave trade which passed through the town ("give up all hope") or to the porters who rested in Bagamoyo after carrying 35 lb cargos on their shoulders from Lake region ("take the load off and rest"). If you ask the locals, they will tell you it means the former. Others, who possibly would like a more politcally correct answer, will say the latter.

At the Catholic Church Museum we saw chains and neck shackles the slaves were subjected to wear. We learned about the years of slavery, the abolishment of it, and how Pope Leo XII played a
Graves At The RuinsGraves At The RuinsGraves At The Ruins

The taller the pillar at the grave, the more affluent the person was... Here you see the grave of an important person and the two in front were the graves of his wives.
part in freeing the slaves. ("We ask all of those in power to end the dreadful slave trade and take all steps in order to extinguish slavery.").

The Catholic "Fathers Of The Holy Ghost" missionaries arrived and worked with the locals. It was a great self-guided tour, giving us a better idea of what happened at the time. Originally the mission was intended to house children who were rescued from slavery, but it soon expanded to a church, a school, and some workshops and farming projects. This was the first mission in East Africa.

We also read about Bagamoyo's part in WWI.

Just behind the museum, is the Livingstone Tower. This is where David Livingstone's body was brought to rest for one night on its way to Zanzibar, before going to England, where he laid to rest. David Livingstone was a great great great great uncle of Dayna's, so she took a particular interest in the tower.

Towards the end of our trip, they took us to the best hotel in town. Apparently, a very smart priest built the hotel. When it was completed, he left the priesthood. He was too successful a businessman to stay with the church... Don;t blame me for this bit of information, This came from a local.

Just sayin'...


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Temple Within The RuinsTemple Within The Ruins
Temple Within The Ruins

This is the grave of a young girl. She was believed to be a direct descendant of Ali Muhamad al-Hatim al-Barawi. She spoke in tongues and died at the age of 13. People still come to this site to pray for things and light incense.
At The Foot Of A Baobab TreeAt The Foot Of A Baobab Tree
At The Foot Of A Baobab Tree

This tree is over 500 years old.
Dayna and I At SchoolDayna and I At School
Dayna and I At School

This is the site of the school where the children attended lessons on the Quran.
The Trade & Slave Routes To And From East AfricaThe Trade & Slave Routes To And From East Africa
The Trade & Slave Routes To And From East Africa

Bagamoyo is located on the left side of the map where all the arrows point to.
Maria Ernestina - Former SlaveMaria Ernestina - Former Slave
Maria Ernestina - Former Slave

Taken in 1974, Maria was the last known survivor of the slave trade. At the time this photo was taken, it was believed that she was well over 100 years old.years
Pope Leo XIIIPope Leo XIII
Pope Leo XIII

He was instrumental in freeing the slaves.
Slaves/Porters With Elephant TuskSlaves/Porters With Elephant Tusk
Slaves/Porters With Elephant Tusk

This tusk was obviously being shipped out of the country.
Drawing Of SlavesDrawing Of Slaves
Drawing Of Slaves

If a slave proved to be weak or tired when in the line, they were shot and killed right there on the spot. You can see a couple on the ground.
Picture Of SlavesPicture Of Slaves
Picture Of Slaves

You can see how they are bound with chains.
Missionary ClassroomMissionary Classroom
Missionary Classroom

Once the missionaries arrived, classrooms were set up to educate the youth. The classrooms haven't improved very much. They look like this today.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb