Tanzania..... The Fat Duck of Africa


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
February 25th 2009
Published: February 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Big MountThe Big MountThe Big Mount

Mt Killamangaro is very spectacular as it rises out of the surrounding plains.
We are ending up our trip now and 6 months has flown by. In a way we have been a little disappointed to finish in Tanzania but in another way it has been good as we are redy to head home now. OK this is just one couples experience in Tanzania so I would say it isn't the gospel on travel in Tanzania, especially as travel is so dependent on the luck of the draw of what people you meet along the way. Disclaimer over and down with, lets tell the tale.

So there is this restaurant in London called The Fat Duck. It supposed to be the quintessential experience in gourmet dining. The problem is that everyone I have ever talked to says it is all hype and that while there's some interesting dishes that come out at the end of the day you get overcharged for a fairly average experience ......this is what we found Tanzania to be.

Tanzania has Kilamanjaro, the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti, which is what you see day in, day out on your favourite Discovery Channel programmes and hence is supposed to be the quintessential Africa (so somene told us). Also you
The CraterThe CraterThe Crater

Amazing sight from the rim of the crater especially considering it was packed full of animals, including a rhino which made up our big 5 sighting.
always get told how welcoming people are in Africa (and everywhere else we have been this is true, especially Botswana). In Tanzania everyone greets you with the greeting Jambo, which is suppsoed to be a short version of 'hello, how are you doing', but we have a sneaking suspicion that it actually means 'hello tourist give me your money and I will give you a fairly average travel experience for a very expensive price'. The problem is that you get that every 2 seconds of the day. The other problem is if we did agree a price on something on several occassions we got asked for further money or another tip later on. It just got really annoying and worse than anywhere we have been in the rest of our travels.

In saying that the countryside is beautiful and that is why it makes the Discovery Channel time and time again and we did find a great little hotel in Moshi called the Haria Hotel where everyone was extremely helpful, it was our little oasis amongst the hassle of northern Tanzania. The big saving grace for us is that Tanzania also has Zanzibar within it (well actually off the
The Big CatThe Big CatThe Big Cat

You could reach out and touch this guy if you were stupid enough. He got so close to the jeep that he stopped and had a wee on the tyre. Cheeky lion.
coast) and these beautiful islands and beautiful people has made a lovely end to our trip. They say Jambo as a greeting and are very laid back and actually want to talk about 'stuff' with you.

We recommend Zanzibar to anyone, the mainland of Tanzania we could take or leave, good if you want to spend lots of money and get hassled a lot to spend money.

Back home in a few days now. See you all then. 6 months has flown by and we can't wait to see you all and bore you with photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bath TimeBath Time
Bath Time

Here the elephant and hippos and birdies chill out in the middle of the crater. We saw some elephants climbing down the side of the crater earlier.... you certainly wouldn't want 40 tonnes of elephant falling down the mountain on you!
Safari NurserySafari Nursery
Safari Nursery

There were tonnes of little babies in the crater with lion cubs, zebra folds and little wildebeests running around everywhere. we even saw some lions getting a little rude on the plains.....Sarita took a video, fortunately I can't load it up here.
Cruising Zanzibar Cruising Zanzibar
Cruising Zanzibar

Here we are on the local transport, the dalahdalah. THe pack as much stuff on the roof as people inside. This one had half a local market and enough materials to build a small village on top and about 40 people in and hanging off the back.
Beautiful Zanzibar at SunsetBeautiful Zanzibar at Sunset
Beautiful Zanzibar at Sunset

Another beautiful African sunset over the gorgeous waters of the Zanzibar Channel. The dhowl (the boat)cruising past was just and added arty touch...very nice!
Lovely KwendaLovely Kwenda
Lovely Kwenda

We stayed at this beach on these exact sun lounges looking out at the beach and ocassionally going for swims and walks for 3 lazy days.... what a great way to finish before heading back to the cold and dark of the UK


25th February 2009

No way..?
Wow, I'm so surprised to hear about tanzania.. folk really do rave about it so that's really interesting. Well very glad zanzibar have lived up to expectations at least. Can't WAIT to see you guys at the weekend - safe journey home and see you in the toon on sunday. Big love x
26th February 2009

Photos
Beautiful photos again - thanks for sharing them. Safe journey. T x
26th February 2009

WOW
That went really quickly , shame about Tanzania , but the photos look incredible. Looking forward to seeing you and Adams tan very soon. Matt
27th February 2009

The End!
So sad...enjoyed hopping on to find out where you were! No more stories! xx
27th February 2009

wow...wow
Bravo, you two for the amazing journey. Wow, I'm surprised too to hear about Tanzania. Glad Zanzibar lived up to it at least. Sarita really got the tan in Africa, which one is she in the bus, just kidding. Can't WAIT to see you both in Vancouver next time...oh there are a few things to see here, too, you know. Safe journey home. Cheers.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb