The Spice Island


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
August 21st 2011
Published: January 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Accommodation: Diamonds Dream of Zanzibar

Flew from Cayman via Dar Es Salem to Zanzibar. It was a good place to chill out for a day or two to get our bodies on African time. Unbeknown to us, Zanzibar is a very popular place for Italian’s to vacation. With direct flights from Rome and Milan coupled with the fact that several hotels only accept Italian guests.

The short end of the story is that Zanzibar has a nice beach and at low tide allows one to walk out a mile or two to the reef. The low tide allows the seaweed harvesters to collect the seaweed – I meet a local guy from the village beside the resort and spent a couple of hours assisting with the harvesting of seaweed. As day turns to night, the masi villagers also turn from hawkers to soccer players. The hawkers are not overwhelming, they do leave you alone and provide a bit of entertainment and souvenir shopping.

Spent a couple hours in Stonetown, a Unesco World Heritage Site. A couple hours is really all one needs to take in the local market (veg, meat, clothing, arts etc.)

The airport at Zanzibar is a complete disaster as there is no separate terminal for international or domestic flights


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb