Zanzibarian dream!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So i am back ... wow i am proud of myself 2 entries in 2 days ... don't get too used to it! So i decided to continue my story about Zanzibar while i have decent internet.

So we are in stone town (i believe thats where i stopped the story) and at night we go to the film festival its called ziff and its the African International film festival and got to see great music and movies ... we watched a movie about women in Sudan that if they have pre marital sex and they are found (aka pregnancy) they are to be lashed 80 times and that is also for the male. when the male finds out he then ignores the woman and denies having sex with her and does not take the responsibility of the child. After each night there is amazing live music in the old fort as well ... one of the night we were trying to leave the venue to go grab food from the street vendors which i have pictures of and you will die what great food they made on the street... the security people didnt let us leave from the main entrance and told us to leave from another door ... to make long story short we were stuck in a fort not being able to leave ... so we set down and enjoyed some live music and lots of people around us that both Emily and i love to look around at their interaction.

The next day we went on a spice tour where we got to try all this exotic spices and see where they come from as well as some fruits i have never seen before. After the spices they took us to lunch and it was great some rice and spinach with some vegetables. They have an Indian influence here so a lot of the food is with a spice called massala ... i bought a few for my mother so i hope she will make some for my family (right ema? ha ha) then we went to this place called the slave cave. the place was found and held slaves in the years that Britain illegalized slave trade. the sultan of Zanzibar hid about 2000 slaves in a cave so they could not be freed or caught. Every morning and night he will bring them down by rope. Some of the slaves found a hole and went into it trying to escape but it led to the ocean and only a few knew how to swim! Later after climbing out of the cave that had apparently spiders baths this huge warms and apparently a snake somewhere we hiked down to the beach and spent an hour there. The beach was just beautiful the clean waters the warmer temperatures it was just great to go in but it was quite wavy. on the way back our bus broke down so we had to catch a dala dala back to stone town and it was quite a funny experience.

When we got back Emily and i decided to wander the streets again ... i love getting lost in the alleys here we bought bunch of fruits and vegetables to eat for dinner and she bought some exotic fruits. Oh yeah that's a thing we do Emily loves exotic fruits so i get to try all this fruits that mostly i am not a big fan of but one that is a type of a luccie (not sure how its spelled) but here its called shoka shoka. At night we just watched the sunset at a nice restaurant and went to sleep pretty early because we decided to head to kendwa the next day!

At 8 o'clock we packed our bags and took a shuttle to kendwa ... the most beautiful place i have seen so far. Our hotel was right on the beach with the water that are extremely warm and water crystal clear and a nicer sand that is just so white and soft that you don't really need shoes to walk in it. we settled in our beautiful room it was small but it was like a hand made cabanas and it was nice to stay in it with of course some nets for the beds and so on. there was one restaurant in the hotel and it was right on the beach and they have some music at night and a bonfire! I love such places just to relax and enjoy the scenery. I also loved that you can come to the place and they wouldn't bother you to order quickly or to leave quickly but rather just let you enjoy the place and your time the way you want to. the food was pretty basic some burgers, pizza and fish and of course bunch of alcohol but we don't really drink here so it was nice to just try their local beer. We also explored out side our hotel a little the city seemed quite from the little walk we went on but i am sure there is much more life then the few supermarket we stopped at!

I really want to write more because there is so much to tell but the time is running out so i will update more next time i come online! miss you all!

Advertisement



9th July 2009

All caught up!
Alright Liron, I am all caught up on your travel blogs finally! You are officially in my bookmark bar which means I will check all the time for new entries. I'm so amazed at what you are doing. It is an experience of a lifetime and must totally make you see the world and your life in a completely different light. I love you and miss you, enjoy your adventure. I'm thinking of you <3
9th July 2009

I love reading about your adventures!
That's all. Oh, and I miss you and hope you make it to the east coast at some point.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb