This is Africa


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West » Mbeya
February 26th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Not So Sure That's SafeNot So Sure That's SafeNot So Sure That's Safe

This was in our hotel in Dar es Salaam.
I wrote this a few weeks back but our internet service wasn’t working so well so I never got a chance to publish it.


Another week has come and gone and all is well. At times it’s hard to believe we are actually in Africa and regardless of how many times we tell ourselves we are here sometimes we just forget. Like yesterday, I went to Mbeya our nearest city to buy 3 refrigerators for the mission, of course in the back of my mind I thought this would be no more than a three hour deal anyways some six and a half hours later we finally made it home and on top of it all our refrigerator didn't work. Or like last Sunday when we went to get something to eat after worship in Mbeya and over an hour and half later the food finally comes out. These are things we come to expect and over time think nothing of them but every now and then you forget just where you’re at.

About two weeks ago a young secondary student came to the mission asking us to come teach him and about 35 other young people
Good Times In The London AirportGood Times In The London AirportGood Times In The London Airport

Levan celebrating his 8th birthday – (Jan 19)
Bible knowledge in their secondary school just a few minutes drive from the mission. Of course we agreed and much to our surprise this last Friday we found out of about 35 kids 13 of them are Christians and out of these 13 kids several of the young men had been taking turns teaching the hour and forty minute class each Friday. It was really refreshing to see these young men taking upon themselves such a huge responsibility.

I have posted a few pictures of the kids in the rain. It has been raining here almost daily and some of the hardest rainstorms I can remember. A few weeks back it rained so hard that it washed out the bottom of the river bed some 4 feet which cut off our water supply. Fortunately we found a small stream coming down off the mountain behind us which we will be able to use until the rains stop. We are just praying we can get our main water intake fixed before the rains stop. The abundance of rain has been really hard on natives; the rain has washed away numerous gardens and has caused several houses in the nearby area to collapse.

I will go for now, thanks for your support and prayers.

Jason







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th March 2008

Brings back memories! Love the pictures!
25th March 2008

Oh My!
For some reason I forgot that close to 4 years has passed since I have last seen you guys! Levan is a little man now and Layla isn't a baby anymore! Craziness. Guess who's coming back to Chimala in July??? Woo hoo!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb