The Wall Came Tumbling Down


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West » Mbeya
March 9th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Wall Came Tumbling Down


This past week has been a very interesting week.

It all started with water problems - the rains have prematurely stopped and you might have guessed we didn’t get the intake fixed. So this last Monday we lost all water, which is a big deal, for the Hospital, missionaries, primary school, students dorms, teacher homes, the nursing quarters and the village in front of us all depend upon this water. So Tuesday we went to work on a new intake from the river which was a huge job but we got it done Wednesday with the help nearly 50 natives. We were so thankful for the turn out of volunteers for without them we would most likely still be there. There is power in unity!

Wednesday was another interesting day for us. One of the local preaches son had been sick for several months and this last week he passed away. So we went out to see the family Wednesday, the day of the funeral. (Of course a funeral here cannot be compared to anything we might see in the states.) When we arrived after the burial there at least 75 to 100 people or more just sitting around in small groups talking with one another, the women on one side of the house and the men on the other side of the house. Thus we made our way to where the men were setting and gave our condolences to all the men and set and talked with them for awhile. After that we decided to go speak to the grieving mother who was inside her house in the living room with some 20 other women. As we made our way into the living room the polite thing to do is remove your shoes and so we did and then we made our entrance into the living room. As we made our entrance into the room the deceased’s mother began to mourn, wail, and as she seen us she would wail to everyone who we were, it was strange and moving to say the least. After making our rounds in the living room we headed back outside and just as I was started to walk outside a 10 foot, hand made big brick wall (part of an old house) collapsed on several women who were cooking in front of it. It then became chaotic; people were running everywhere screaming and crying the wounded were swept up by their limbs without regard to their injuries and were carried to my car. As I got to the car and unlocked the doors it became more chaotic, who was going to go and who wasn’t, people were yelling, pushing and shoving trying to get in the car finally after several minutes we finally got everyone who had been injured (6 women) into the car and off we went back to the mission hospital. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt and everyone was released from the hospital the following day. The biggest blessing in all the mess was that not one child was hurt, normally there would have been children running around that area or at least on there mothers back. I guess we can always be thankful for something.


Jason



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



10th March 2008

Prayer for water
Sorry to here about the loss of water to the hospital and all. We will keep you all in our prayers for that to be all taken care. We had about a foot of snow over the weekend. It shut down everything. But we had temps above freezing so it is melting pretty good. Many folks cancelled church worship Sunday. Good to hear from you. Fight the good fight. Keep the faith. Finish the race!!!!! It was great to see all the kids playing and having fun. God bless you richly.
10th March 2008

ood to hear from you
Randy sent us your e-mail. Sorry about your water. I enjoy reading your news. Donna
10th March 2008

interesting pictures
Hope all heals well from tumbling wall. Interesting pictures of water intake and new trenching. Fun pictures of all the happy kids. Lord bless you all!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb