hakuna matata


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello family and friends!

It's saturday morning here in a moshi internet cafe, the market it packed with vendors and meat hanging from store windows and avocados and tomatos all over the sidewalks. I think i'm used to the constant bombardment of people walking by me trying to sell me everything they own.

yesterday, a big group of us went on a "coffee day hike" on the bottom, rainforest-y area of mount kilimanjaro. It was breathtaking, quite possibly the most beautiful views i have ever seen. I took pictures and video, don't you worry! We hiked up about 1500 meters on a clay path, which was very muddy because it's been raining almost every morning. Our first hike was to a HUGE waterfall, the trail was extremely muddy but a bunch of local kids led the way. There's no turning around when there is a 5 year old in bare feet right in front of you, you'd look like a sissy 😊 At one point, we were walking and i was telling a fellow volunteer "maybe i should walk more carefully on this road", and literally, 6 seconds later, I'm on the ground. My feet went up over my head- it was hilarious, and didn't hurt very much thank goodness!

we then went to a traditional chagga house where we met a 95 year old grandmother, whose 108 year old husband had just died two weeks ago. she was extremely sweet, i snapped a photo. She made us banana soup (so far, i've had banana soup, banana fritters, fried bananas, mini bananas, and a banana muffin) and then all of the neighborhood chagga women (chagga in the dominant tribe in the area) danced and sang for us. We joined in a danced as well 😊 It was a very good day, I'll miss the banana trees when i come back.

On thursday we went to the Internatioal Tribunal for Rwanda in Arusha, about an hour away by van. It's were all suspected war criminals from the Rwandan genocide are tried and sentenced, it's in Tanzania since TZ is a stable and peaceful country. The congress is actually on break until aug 15, so we didn't actually get to see a case, but they showed us around and we went to the library and watched a video.

Courtney- You and Patrick would have fallen in LOVE with that library. Every single book was about international and humanitarian law, foreign affairs, the economy of Africa and refugee systems in Africa, in particular Rwanda. I should have taken a picture for you but they didn't allow cameras.

After the visit the to Tribunal, a van of us went to a local massai market, and needless to say, i bought a LOT. There were some very nice sellers there, but some are obviously trying to impose mzungu prices on us (mzungu= white person) Dad, I have your souveniers, and Courtney. Emily, Tommy, Linda, and Mom, you need to message or email me back and tell me what kinds of things would like as momentos.

gotta run!
talk to everyone soon!

Advertisement



29th July 2008

CCS alumni
Hello, I returned two weeks ago from a CCS placement in Karanga right by Moshi. I had Googled to se see if I could bring up information on Kili Kids (my placement) and the orphanage Neema and your blog came up. I am glad you are having a wonderful time, seeing so much and delving into the culture. Have a safe trip home. Many blessings~ Katie

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb