Plans/random factoids.


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North
July 16th 2008
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone.

I'm at a random internet cafe in town, so I just wanted to let you all know some of my plans for the upcoming weeks, I'll be sending a picture or two back soon so hold your horses!

This weekend we are going on a safari to Ngorongoro Crater from Friday until Sunday night. Most of the proceeds from our Safari money go to an organization called "kili kids", an orphanage in the area. They train some of the teen boys to be cooks for the tour operator, so they'll be in our group cooking for us which is kind of cool. We'll be at the crater on the first day, then lake Manayara on Sunday.

Tomorrow we're going to Neema Orphanage, it's an orphanage for babies and toddlers, and next week we'll be going to "Light in Africa" orphanage.

Let's see...... Next next weekend I'm probably going on a Kilimanjaro day hike , which hikes you a little up the mountain and around the park there. That'll be Saturday, then Sunday we are going for a Coffee and Spice tour, which is extremely popular.

It's up in the air but there's also talk of climbing Mr. Meru, a HUGE mountain, but Kilimanjaro overshadows it, literally and figuratively.

Next Wednesday we're going to see a Chagga tribe, the local tribe around here. We'll visit their homes and then I'm pretty sure we're going to have dinner with the Massai.

Moshi is a much bigger town that I equated it to be, very very populated. Every two seconds there is a local walking by you making small talk in English, and just when you think they are being SO kind, they whip out whatever they are trying to sell. Most here are very kind though, my friend and I got lost in town earlier today, and this woman led us to this internet cafe, which was a 10 minute walk.

The teacher at my school is extremely, extremely nice. She is fluent in English, and had been involved with CCS for a long time. Tomorrow she won't be in school, so the class will be left with me. She said to just play with them outside for the entire time, 9-11:30... they're so distracted by my being there that they rarely sit down and do their work. I'm starting to pick up more swahili, but the language barrier is really difficult once you get past the basic greeting conversation- but anyone who knows English tries it eagerly with us, they really like practicing it.

We had a lecture today on the education system in Tanzania. I don't have tons of time, but the basic point of it was, that it stinks. Kids in primary school, ages 7-14 learn EVERYTHING in Swahili, then they go to Secondary school, where EVERYTHING is taught in English. Plus the fact that they have to pass an exam to get into secondary school, and it's a pass/fail option. If you get sick, don't finish, etc.. you can't retake it and can't go to public school anymore. There are private schools but they are extremely expensive. We also had a lecture on HIV/AIDS the other day, but more about that later since i have 7 minutes left.

The other volunteers are extremely, extremely nice, as well as the staff. I met my friend Cate from Chicago in the airport at Amsterdam, and she's probably the one I'm the closest to.

Kwa herini (goodbye all)
Love,
K


Advertisement



17th July 2008

Hello Katherine
Hello Katherine, Are you able to receive this message? I am new to blogging. Everything sounds wonderful. I love reading about it. What does Mount Kilimanjaro look like? I'd also like to know more about the educational system and how the orphanages operate. Write whenever you have time or computer access. Enjoy! Love, Courtney
17th July 2008

Fun!
Katherine - That all sounds fun! Do you have a pet tiger?
20th July 2008

You sound so happy!
Hi Katherine, What a truly awesome adventure you are having! CCS has fully engaged you in the local culture. You sound so happy. I love your "interesting observations." They give wonderful insights into your experiences, the people, and the culture. By the way, do they really say, "hakuna matata?" ;-) Proud of you. Enjoy.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb