Serengeti Day 2


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
September 20th 2010
Published: September 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6 am, breakfast at 6:30, game drive at 7 am, leaving a bit later than most groups in camp. Saw lots of beautiful birds - lilac breasted rollers, secretary birds, vultures, tawny eagle. The list goes on and on. Beautiful light for photography for the first few hours.

On the game drive, we found two cheetah brothers resting under a tree, not doing a whole lot. Up for a stretch, then lie down again. We were amazed by the full panarama of the savana sprinkled with acacia trees and dry golden grass to the horizon. Great photography everywhere we turned. The roof on our Land Rover raises up so we can stand up on the seats for a better view. Lovely blue sky day, with a few clouds rolling in as the morning progressed. 

Stopped At the Seronera visitor centre where Richard found 2 and a half billion year old rock, granite plutons poking above the savanna in smooth rounded boulders 30 metres high. He restrained himself from picking one to take home since this is a national park and nothing should be removed from a park.

Back to camp for a big lunch and a rest before going on the afternoon game drive.

After lunch behind our camp we were all entertained by the elephants that slowly moved towards camp as they munched through the trees. A few were within meters of being right in camp. They weren't bothered at all by our gawking group as we shot photo after photo. So close!

We are getting used to the long drop toilets, although they can be very hard on the knees, especially for women. These are porcelain basins with a hole in the middle, set right into the floor. Some have a chain to pull with a toilet tank above to flush. Others have a bucket of water and you are expected to flush the toilet with a small container of water taken from the bucket.

The food prepared on charcoal fire pits has been filling, tasty and well presented. For lunch we had veggie pizza, cucumber salad, chicken in tandoori sauce. Supper was carrot soup, rice and beef stew and cooked cabbage, with watermelon for desert. Yummy. The cooks cleaned up the dishes for us. It tried to rain this evening but only in odd drops so it did not interfere with mealtime. We knew that rain was falling elsewhere in the Serengeti. These are called 'short rains' that signal 'long rains' are on the way. 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb