Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
June 13th 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Morocco. After we left Arusha, following the safari, we went to Zanzibar. The island was in the middle of a bit of a power crisis... well there was no power, on the whole island, save some generators. It seems that the "fuel crisis" is an excuse to drive up prices everywhere...and for everything. This is understandable in Zanzibar because all of the generators run on fuel. Needless to say, internet was a nightmare. From a selfish tourists point of view it was kinda neat, with all of Zanzibar's incredible history, arabic-style houses intriquitly carved doors and indian/oriental influenced balconies it felt like we were in the dark ages. It was really easy to get lost in the maze that comprised Stonetown, the capital, and we did...a lot.

We visited a Sultans Palace in Stonetown. The remainder of the family left as late as the 1970's. The palace was in shambles, but it was obvious that it was quite spectacular in its day. The Sultan's daughter, born from a concubine, has written a book on the events that happened there. She taught herself in hiding to read and write by writing out the Koran on camel shoulder bones. She is the only women to write such a memoir of the Islamic world during this time...looks like a good read!

We went on a spice tour, which I loved. It was really neat to see how tumeric, cloves, cardomen etc.. are grown. The vanilla and cinnamon were highlights for me.

Zanzibar was a big slave exporting country at one point and there still remains ruins from that time. We went to a cave where slaves were held after abolition. There were over 200 kept there illegally to work on a local Arabs crops. This cave was their home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

slave caveslave cave
slave cave

There were over 200 slaves held here secretly after the abolmishment of the slave trade..there were no stairs then, only a rope
Nice structural support!Nice structural support!
Nice structural support!

Are they trying to keep the building up??
Stonetown doorStonetown door
Stonetown door

They were all impressive
lanewayslaneways
laneways

These endless lanes make up the whole city, mesmerizing


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb