Safari: Tanzania - Serengeti, Monday 2022 November 7


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
November 7th 2022
Published: September 25th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Kopje  Kopje  Kopje

Creates its own microclimate
I was so tired last night that I went immediately to bed, slept nine hours, woke thirty minutes before the alarm, and had breakfast on time at 6:00 to leave at 7:00. I pretend I am in a different time zone.

Rather than exiting the Serengeti Park directly, we took a detour to see kopjes. These are strange, worn granite outcroppings, seemingly rising randomly from the flat landscape. In fact, they are the visible evidence of the volcanic history of the plain; underneath the surface are many more giant granite rocks and deposits. The ash and sediment of the volcanos to the east formed the soil of the Serengeti. Erosion has revealed the highest rock surfaces. Now these are fissured and marked by caves, which lions like to use for their dens.

By this time, we were on very rough and virtually unmarked roads, jouncing across the eastern Serengeti and its short-grass savannahs. Rains should come about the end of November. We had a discussion about the similarity of the savannahs to the prairies of North America; Jay Kim, our driver, knew about the prairies from his schooling, thus impressing me with the quality of his lessons. (Later, a
Cheetah Cheetah Cheetah

"What's that noise?"
quick internet search revealed that there are grasslands on all continents, except Antarctica, and they cover almost 40% of the land-based world.)

None of the largest predators inhabit this short grassland. Luckily, cheetahs (relatively small) are quite easy to see. Zebras and wildebeest flood the landscape. Grant Gazelles and smaller Thomson Gazelles (nicknamed “Tommies”) wander in large, spread-out harems. Warthogs and their babies trot or run amongst the termite mounds, which are larger and taller in this dry area; sometimes the warthogs are calm enough to eat the roots of grass-like plants.

In this vast dry plain, dust lifted off the road in long plumes. Dust devils danced in the distance. As we neared the park boundary, road graders worked, churning up even more clouds of dust.

My left eye has become irritated, probably with the dust, so today I wore an N95 mask brought for covid protection. Breathing was much easier and clearer – I was surprised at the instant effect. When I took it off at the end of the day, it was coated around the edges and across the front with black dust. Could have been in my lungs!

We had lunch at the Naabi Hill Gate: chicken in spiced tomato sauce, veggie rice, buns, packaged cookies, juice boxes, bananas, and apples. Lucas’s company, Carnivores Safaris, supplied all the dishes and cutlery, including the containers for the chicken, rice and buns. Much preferable to the boxed lunches from earlier in the trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Dik diks challengeDik diks challenge
Dik diks challenge

Tiny territorial animals
Brown Snake Eagle Brown Snake Eagle
Brown Snake Eagle

Surveying prospects
White Bellied Bustard White Bellied Bustard
White Bellied Bustard

Marching through the grass
Brown Snake Eagle Brown Snake Eagle
Brown Snake Eagle

On an acacia
Topi markingsTopi markings
Topi markings

"Wearing" blue jeans
Cape Buffalo Cape Buffalo
Cape Buffalo

The usual curiosity
Cape Buffalo herdCape Buffalo herd
Cape Buffalo herd

Freshly mudded from a wallow
Kopje Kopje
Kopje

Shelter for animals
Zebra and Wildebeest Zebra and Wildebeest
Zebra and Wildebeest

Taking advantage of the Kopjes microclimate
CheetahCheetah
Cheetah

Checking things out
Cheetah Cheetah
Cheetah

Relaxed
Camouflaged CheetahCamouflaged Cheetah
Camouflaged Cheetah

Shade - cool and dappled


25th September 2023

Excellent shots of many birds I've never heard of! The brown snake eagle, the white-bellied bustard (although I know you've posted others of these or similar), the lapwing, that amazing stork. And the cousin to the long-necked stilts I see in Phoenix. Lovely. Am I seeing spikes along the branches of the tree in which the eagle is sitting? As for this "40% of the land surface is grasslands", I remember hearing that for the first time sometime in the last few years. It wasn't something I'd ever wondered about, and I sure wouldn't have had any basis for making a guess. Just another area where my knowledge is sorely lacking.
26th September 2023

Glad you liked the shots of birds. They pleased me, too. Indeed, the acacia tree is full of spikes, although giraffes can around eat them!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb