Day 30 - More SR&R


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
August 24th 2018
Published: August 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Up very early for an early game drive. We are second to breakfast, yes, up earlier than most.....

In the truck and away at 0701, not our fault for the “late” start this time. The rough drive starts slowly as there are animals all along the road out this morning. New ones we hadn’t seen closely before. Topi, Heatebeest and Impala (yes to those paying attention we have seen lots of Impala, but not here in Serengeti). The topi are from the antelope family, but have a back like a wilderbeast and have blue jean marks on the side of their flanks. The heartebeest have a 2 tone skin that makes them look like the old EH Holden with the 2 tone paint work.

We drive on the rough road for a while, slowly while picking new birds or animals, then we pick up the pace, and the Shake Rattle and Roll from yesterday. Eventually we get to the off road part. This is the hippo pool. Sure enough there are lots of hippo here. But this time they are in a playful mood. So playful that we see lots of gaping jaws, and even play fights where the bigger hippo will flip the other over on its back. Fantastic to watch and lots of pics and movies to share. They look really funny with their little legs in the air flailing as they go arse end up.

Leave there and more rough road until we get to a spot where there are a few trucks. Lions in the background. Ok, not bad but more please. Then we spot the next lion. A female not far from us. She walks a bit then scratches a spot and lies down. Ok, not much here again. Drive on and there are 2 giraffe in a bit of a love tangle. Necks rubbing necks, like Georhe with Millie, a bit of sniffing then more neck rubs. Might be in for a show here. Follow for a while, then Ms giraffe just walks away with Mr horny giraffe following. No luck here buddy.

See a few other animals, then we strike the motherlode. A few trucks in front of us. The radio crackles that there are a mating pair of lions. We bolt and get there as the 5th truck in line. Get a good position and watch the large female and even larger male walk down the road oblivious to the gathering trucks as they walk towards us. Great positioning Masha. Pics and more trucks arriving. Circus time, trucks jostling for position, some reversing to keep up, others going wide to get a good position, all the while, Mrs lion growling and walking, Mr lion just following. She sits and rests, he does too, right beside us. Way too many pics, but able to get concentrated head shots, etc. Nice....

We decide this is getting out of hand and back off. All the while other trucks coming from all angles. Poor Mrs and Mr lion, no peace in the boudoir today. We then go and have our picnic lunch. Very nice meal packed in picnic baskets with all the trimmings. Some have had enough and we head for home via a few more tracks. Not much happening. Rough roads back to the lodge. We get back at around 1430 so have time to rinse dusty clothes and have a shower to get clean again. We decide to wander around this fantastic lodge. Usually unable to find time for this sort of thing. Fantastic facilities with an interesting discovery centre showing lots of details about the animals and their migration process.

Meet another couple for drinks before our briefing of tomorrow’s itinerary. During this talk, one of the newer members voices her disappointment that we didn’t stay out longer today, stating that those who had already been to other parks were forcing a majority rules decision to come back early. Cut the air with a knife for a few people..... Over dinner it turns out that one of the people in the voice persons truck kept bleating about coming in Saying they had seen enough. Our truck also had the same idea, but we hadn’t made that much noise. Air a bit thinner now and the tour director has been altered to a possible problem that he needs to deal with. All good in the end.

Nice buffet African BBQ with really nice sweets. Not sure how I am going to haul this huge buttocks up to the gorillas, but will give it a fair go....

Now to pack bags for another early start o get to the airstrip and another 2 flights......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.405s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb