on safari


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jambo!

I can't remeber where we left you last so I apologize if this is repetitive or pieces are missing between then and now. We left on safari from Arusha on Monday and travelled southwest to Lake Manyara to begin our exploration. The first part of the drive was peaceful and we were all busy settling in, speaking to our driver/guide and learning about the region when a tembo (elephant - actually 4 of them) rumbled out of the bush along side the road we were driving on. They were on Cory's side of the vehicle and literally an arm's reach away. We were all quite excited but anxious as well. My heart raced and my reaction time to grab the camera was a bit slowed as this was really the first large animal we had seen and it did take us by surprise. THey spent some time wandering about the road in front of us and munching on the vegetation before they sauntered slowly into the forest beyond out of our sight.

After a full day in Lake Manyara, we proceeded to the mountain lodge we were staying at and set off for the Serengeti the next morning bright and early. The next two nights we spend camping in a bush camp in the Serengeti and last night we stayed at the Ngorongoro farmhouse. This morning we are off for a guided safari walk and then we will be visiting a Maasai village for the afternoon.

We have seen so many amazing things along the way, animals I didn't even know existed. I wish we were able to post pictures but our time always seems short and it would take hours considering the speed of the internet connections. Perhaps once we are settled in Zanzibar we will have some time for that.

A few funny moments in the last few days:
1. The first night in the Serengeti bush camp, we heard some snorting outside our tent and something bumped into the side. We thought it might be a warthog or something of the like . . . Cory really had to go the washroom and decided he absolutely couldn't wait so after shining our light in the dark (5:30 in the morning) he made a mad dash for the toilet . . . . later we were told it was a lion!!! Ignorance in bliss?
2. Kite birds in the Ngorongoro crater really will dive down and steal your lunch (chicken) right out of your hand. This is no small bird!!!

Time is running out. . . . on the internet and this morning we are due to leave in twenty minutes and I have to finish packing! We will be in Arusha tomorrow and then in Zanzibar in a few days.
Hope you are all well.
Talk soon.

quinn + cory

Advertisement



6th June 2008

birds cheeky lunch..steeling
...on safari in the UK seagulls the size of a beach bags steel the chocolate flakes out of babies ice creams. whats the world coming too. the quest of wrestling lions to the ground in efforts to save your husband Quinn sounds like chicken feed in comparison to kite birds steeling your lunch... wink..! take care looking forward to more stories! XX
6th June 2008

Hey...so good to hear from you guys! Too bad about the slow internet connections - would really love to see pictures. I can't believe my brother almost got eaten by a lion! Scary! That's when you definitely know you aren't in Canada anymore. Although, I'm sure that sunk in the first minute you set foot in Africa. Take care!
8th June 2008

Good to hear from you!!!
It sounds like you are having a great time, what a wonderful experience. We are glad to hear that Cory escaped a close encounter with the lion. We are excited to see all of the pictures and will look forward to that when you get home!! All is well here in Manitoba and everyone says hello. Rhett, Ryley and Gavin were quite interested to hear your stories about the safari. Enjoy Zanzabar and the rest of your trip!!!! Love Dad and Mum Baleja
9th June 2008

Right on, Right on
Hey Guys, sounds like it's all going swell. Things here are cool too, a bit hot actually, but the sun is shining so trust that summer awaits you upon your return..... and so do Derek and I. We miss you guys and are glad to hear you're safe and sound. Enjoy the beach, and see you in a few days. Fly safe.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb