BIG SOCCER DAY


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mwanza
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was the distribution of the soccer equipment, and it went very well.

First, though, Pastor Jon & Rob zoomed off on the motorbike to complete the study on Acts. Don't miss their picture when the study was finished. Very impressive, Pastor Jon! Sorry, maybe tomorrow, I'll be able to include this picture

The soccer crew, Ron Leach, Jeremy, Jordan and Nate, had to be t their first appointment at 10:00am. The rest of us were going into town to do some shopping and have lunch. So, 10 adults piled into the Landcruiser with 3 bags of soccer gear on top. Rob had played Weird Al Yankovic's "Another One Rides the Bus" last night to get us into the right frame of mind. The mayor met the soccer crew at the school to get ready for a press conference and visiting other schools to distribute the soccer things we had brought. They came back about 4:00pm for 10 minutes and were off again for another soccer camp and then to watch two Mwanza city teams play a match. They came home at 7:30 - pretty beat- but feeling good at having done so much today.

The rest of us went on into Mwanza We had a few chores to do - like pick-up drinking water and to check at the taxidermist for Rob's brothers antelope head that is being mounted. We had, much to Jim's dismay, run out of coffee and Jim was feeling a little desperate. We had been drinking Kenyan coffee and bought Tanzanian today. Then, we were dropped off at the "Market" to pick up some material for curtains at the orphanage. We bought some at the first shop that we stopped at. The market was hot and very aromatic (body odors, etc.) and the consensus was not to check out any more of the market since they didn't have any souvenir stuff and no T-Shirts for Chrissy to collect. We piled into a small taxi and went to a little pizzeria for lunch. We started with a plate of fresh fruit and had pineapple and ham pizzas They were very good. Especially with the pineapple so sweet and ripe. It was an interesting little eatery. Then, home to start the curtains, but the sewing machine is not cooperating, so we may have to do them by hand. I wish Mary Weaver was here to help.

Tonight we had a birthday cake for Joe Milner, the retired man from MI. He and his wife, Debbie, are always in such good spirits that they make you feel good just being around them. Getting time to go to bed. Check out Jordans report on Mwanza Maandiko. Rob's sisiter Anna has a fantastic video on Tumaini at


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb