Back home, but here's some photos


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
July 12th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Arrived back home at the end of June in time for my daughter's high School Graduation. Overall, this leg of the project went very went. Primary purpose was to develop the rationale via a needs Analysis of the the two proposed courses to be developed. We achieved that and went on to create DACUM (develop a Curriculum) charts for both courses.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

SEAMIC TourSEAMIC Tour
SEAMIC Tour

The Southern East Africa Mineral centre located about 20 kms north of dae es Salaam is a resource for the east African Mining community.
Arusha AirportArusha Airport
Arusha Airport

That little girl in front looks a little skeptical of us. This primary class was on a field trip to the airport.
NyegaNyega
Nyega

En route to the Barrick North Mara mine we gassed up at Nyega and observed a local welding fabrication shop building panels.
SEAMICSEAMIC
SEAMIC

Discussion with Dr. Nakara Metemu, a well known and respected gemologist at SEAMIC. Dr Metemu spent about 2 hours with us touring SEAMIC, a very gracious and humble person.
Faceting at SEAMICFaceting at SEAMIC
Faceting at SEAMIC

Using a high quality faceting machine, this lapidary tech. is fashioning the raw stone into a value-added gem.
Dr Metemu and myselfDr Metemu and myself
Dr Metemu and myself

I was put in contact with Dr. Metemu via a local (Vancouver) gem cutter, Lisa Elser at the march 2010 Victoria gem Show. I am grateful to Lisa for letting us know of SEAMIC.
TCMETCME
TCME

Meeting with some very influential mining professionals at the Tanzania Chamber of Minerals and Energy. They were very gracious and forthcoming with their ideas and thoughts - they were also very encouraging of our project and vowed to help us in any way they can. tremendous support from all Tanzanian Stakeholders.
En route to North MaraEn route to North Mara
En route to North Mara

We drove an 1800 km round trip to visit with Barrick Gold management at the North Mara site.
Photo OpPhoto Op
Photo Op

Stopped at a Gas Station in a Village just South of Musoma near lake Victoria and struck up a lively conversation with some residents.
Stuck in the MudStuck in the Mud
Stuck in the Mud

Tanzania had some serious flooding last winter and a s a result many of their remote routes are still very compromised. This particular stretch of road is en route to the North mara mine.
Drying Rice outdoorsDrying Rice outdoors
Drying Rice outdoors

The locally grown rice is delivered to this trading centre where it is spread out on these large tarps to dry prior to being milled. Cost of bulk rice here is about 15% of the cost in BC.
Village lifeVillage life
Village life

This is the village in the area of Butiama in Tanganyika's Mara Region where Tanzanian "Father of Independence" Julius Kambarage Nyerere was born. Tanzania gained independence in 1961.
Sammy MolellSammy Molell
Sammy Molell

Sammy Mollel, Chairman of the Tanzania Mineral Dealers Association and myself at his office in Arusha. Tanzania, in June 2010, as part of the new mining act, now prohibits the export of raw Tanzanite. A huge economic boom to those in the gem finishing business in Tanzania.
Arusha Lapidary SchoolArusha Lapidary School
Arusha Lapidary School

A student works on a lap machine faceting stones at the VETA-operated lapidary school in the heart of the gem district in Arusha, Tanzania.
Snake farmSnake farm
Snake farm

After work one day we went out to the snake farm just outside of Arusha. Yes, that is a real live snake around my neck.
Raw gemsRaw gems
Raw gems

Typical 'rock' from a nearby mine.
Banana deliveryBanana delivery
Banana delivery

Early morning delivery of bananas to the market.
SerengetiSerengeti
Serengeti

Returning from North Mara heading east to Arusha, we cut across the Serengeti and managed to take in some of the locals.
Village lifeVillage life
Village life

I taught these two little guys the secret handshake that only my daughter and I know. They were really quite amused.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb