Update


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I have been here a full three days now and am having an amazing adventure. The jet lag was not bad at all, so that was fine. The hotel for the first two nights was just fine. But the best part was going with Lindsey to her assigned orphanage and meeting the head of the orphanage and the children. You cannot imagine the spirit of this woman who started the orphanage because she could not bear to see all the homeless / abandoned children. First she took in as many as could fit into her house. Then when her home filled up, she started a separate orphanage. Unfortunately the only home (really a barn with covered stalls) she could afford to rent is not near her husband so they live apart. THe older children stay in this place, and she rents a home nearby where she keeps the youngest children. She is in process of applying to be a NGO (non-governmental organization) which is not the same as a non-profit but similar. It is a lengthy and expensive process in Tanzania.


The children have a great spirit but nothing else. The stay in the same clothes day after day, have limited water, and limited food. They sleep two to three to a bed. But they are better off than they would be without the home. The do not get any governmental assistance and rely on donations and fund raisers. I understand there a quite a few of these orphanages. We all hear about the devastation of AIDS and the orphaned children, but this really brings it to reality. I fell in love with several children, Ireny with her sassy spirit and Grace who loves to read and maybe will be a teacher.

Lindsey has adopted a beautiful 10 year old girl named Helen and has committed to paying for her school at a close private school until she is 18. Helen has trouble walking and now she will not have to walk 90 minutes each way to school. This will cost about $125 per year, a very worthwhile investment in someone's future. The other children go to the school which is further away and costs about $90 a year. Tanzania does not readily allow outside adoptions, whereby the child is taken out of Tanzania. So this is the best one can do here - and really appreciated. But in leaving Lindsey worried greatly about all of them, especially the situation with limited food and medical care. What if someone gets sick?

CCS is a great place - met terrific people who have all volunteered their time. Some stay 3 weeks and others up to 12 weeks. I recommend this for anyone interested. CCS was started by a man I think named Allen Rosenberg who got the idea while traveling abroad.

Anyway, we left Moshi Friday night for Arusha, a city about one hour away. There we are staying in Hotel Africo, which is more like camping to be honest. But an experience! Today we drove one and 1/2 hours away to visit a tribe of about 60 people, it is outlined on our itenary if you have had a chance to see it. These Africans live in huts made of cow dung and the kids are covered in flies, just like you see on TV. No joke. They live the ancient life but still they allow cultural visitors from time to time. We had our driver to interpret as he speaks the same language. Although they do not really know of the outside world, they did know what a watch was and also a camera and liked to see their photos after LIndsey took them. LIndsey had a marriage proposal from a very nice young man (the second male child) but she had to explain she was too young to marry! When we left the women tried to keep Lindsey there (in a joking way) but I think they would have liked her to stay! A very different and difficult life. For anyone who has been to Israel and seen or visited with the nomadic tribes there, it is similar. Except here in Africa they say put in their Boma (small neighborhood) and the men must go search and bring back the water.

Now we are back in Arusha at an Internet Cafe. Tonight a simple dinner and then tomorrow back to another cultural village. I know there are people who just fly over here, go on a safari, and fly out - no cultural exchange. I really love that Lindsey has pursued this course and given me the opportunity to live and learn from this adventure.

Advertisement



2nd July 2008

Wow
I just got caught up on the blogs. Your description has such imagery to it. I can just visualize where you are and what you're doing even though i have never been there. I think it's a marvelous experience you are encountering. I am sure it will effect you the rest of your life, in the best possible way. You are on a worthwhile adventure. I am so proud of you. Is your mom allowing any kisses from folks? LOL!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb