The Long Rains are Here


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
April 29th 2008
Published: April 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dearest Brethren,
I thought it might be time to update my blog! Until now, internet for us has been very hit or miss. However, I believe we have the bugs worked out and it will be a little more reliable. Most of you have been keeping up with us via our report or Race. As you know, we are still waiting to hear something about the work permit. Your prayers are very much appreciated and we know they will avail much according to God's will. We have been busy, busy, busy! We moved in to a smaller house, letting the Gee family have the larger house we were in previously. It just seemed silly to have all that extra space sitting there while they could put it to use. I believe both families are happy with the arrangement. The house we are now in is much smaller, but suits our needs just fine, and we still have room for guests. So, pack your bags and come see us when you are ready!
Bonnie and Carey Samfords container came this week and we all helped them unload. One, because that's what teammates do and two, we all had some stuff on it😉! I was truly like Christmas! Most of our stuff was books and linens, but there were also some photos that I am so glad to have. It makes this house a little homier.
The long rains are here. Even as I am typing this report, it is raining elephants and hippos outside (this is Africa, so, not dogs and cats). It's not as bad as I thought it would be as it mostly rains at night. That makes for good sleeping. However, it does wash the roads out- BAD! It makes for one bumpy ride. Of course, we don't have it as bad as the Tanzanians who have to trudge through the nasty mud everywhere they go. They are two inches taller by the time they get where they are going because of all the mud caked on to the bottom of their shoe! We try to give rides whenever we can. It is somewhat customary to do so if you are able. However, one day we saw this great big truck (one that halls rocks etc...) and it had a bumper sticker on the back that said "Even if you took a bath, you are NOT going to town!" We laughed and laughed about that. I guess someone couldn't get their work done for giving rides.
So many funny things happen here every day. It would be hard to share them all. One I will never forget had to do with Sean. We were driving down a dirt road in Kisongo when we passed these three little kids. They couldn't have been more than 5 or 6. Two of them were holding rocks. They like to throw stuff at the vehicles as they pass by. Especially the wazungu (white people's) vehicles. Sean stopped the car next to them and said "Don't do it". One of the kids dropped the rock, but the other one had a little imp in him. He through that rock and hit the car- hard. Sean got out of the car and those kids took off like a shot screaming at the top of their lungs! Sean runs after them, chasing them across this big muddy field and they stop just outside the gate of their house. Sean came back to the car and started driving toward their house. When we got closer, not only did the kids take off screaming, the moms did too! I laughed till I thought I would cry, but Sean was mad. Since he doesn't speak a lick of Swahili he had me get out and tell the moms what had happened. I did tell them, but to no avail. I don't think they got the spanking they needed, which is unusual here. Tanzanians do spank their children when needed. What a sight that was!
The work is going well here. Sean has been very restless not being able to jump right in and teach at the school (due to the lack of the work permit). But we can still preach and teach and that is a great privilege. Sean and Race have both been able to preach at Monduli. Sean, a few times and Race last week. Race's sermon was "Go, Stand, and Speak" based on Acts 5:20. I, being his mother, of course, thought he did a WONDERFUL job. In the ladies class we've been studying the role of the woman as per their request. They seem to be enjoying the study and have asked for me to teach again the week after next. The ladies have to take turns with the children having class as there is only one room in which to meet. Perhaps when the rains are over, we can set up benches outside.
So, all things considered, the problems with the permit etc... life is still good, we are very blessed, and the Lord's work abounds. We love you all and not a day goes by that we are not thankful for your help, monetarily as well as your prayers on our behalf. We are a blessed people. Love, Anita

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb