Favorite Phrases


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KARIBU - I have never heard to word welcome more in 30 years than I have in the past three weeks living in Tanzania.

Some of the things, phrases or otherwise I have come to love over the past weeks.

Hujambo, Mambo, Jambo, Habari, Safi, Poa, Dole, Nzuri, Shikamo, Marahaba, Karibu sana, Asante sana-
For the most part you can get by with the words above. All are different greetings, all are used all the time. The are sometimes different based on age and gender, but some combination fo the greetings above and you you can get a good conversation rolling.

TIA - This is Africa
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't understand. Life should not be as complicated as it is here. The only response that makes any sense (and it doesn't really) is TIA.

TFT - Tanzanian Flexible Time
Nothing happpens at the scheduled time in Tanzania. In fact I am not sure that an exact time is ever given, instead people say a time and they say TFT as if the are letting you know ahead of time that they are unlikely to make it at the arranged time. Life moves at a very different pace in Africa and their is no choice but to go along with it. Convenience is not at the top of anyones radar and life has far more to do with taking the time to connect with everyone you see than it does with getting anywhere in a hurry.

No hurry in Africa
!!!

Pole Pole-
Slowly or Sorry or just about anything you might say could be responded to with Pole, which essestiannly means confusion in translation.

Mzungo -
I have become so tired of hearing this word that currently my most commonly used Swahili phrase is Jina Langi si Muzungo, jina langu ni Sarah! This is the term that is used for white people and it is shouted constantly. When we initially arrived it seemed somewhat endearing until we heard it every two minutes. The children where I work are not allowed to say Mzungo, as Baba Juma believes it to be racist and feels that children need to see white people and teachers and friends not simply outsiders. Apparntly the word has been around for along time and literally means 'the lost ones'. It originally stemmed from the Maasai tribe and its meaning was 'those who conceal their farts.' Yes, this is true. I did not believe it initially either, but after having spent a night with the Maasai tribe, I know understand.

sisi si sisimizi-
We are not small.
Really? This is the most fun language ever.

Poa kichizi kama ndizi -
Cold like a bananna (this is a common response when asking how someone is doing)

lala fofofo - sleep tight (literally sleep like you are dead)

And lastly.....

Favorite T-Shirt -
A woman at market who must have been close to 80 cooking sardines in a charcoal pit and selling them for less than 1 cent each wearing a t-shirt which read "HUSSEIN SAVED HUMANITY"




Advertisement



23rd June 2007

upside down for WOW...
I'm trying to think of something new I've learned in the last week. Will you ever be able to tell us all (never mind - don't need to answer that). Be safe. Travel smart. I love you and can nort wait to see you.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb